Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Will a 125 w processor run hotter and consume more energy than a 65 watt one?

BrunoVincent_Net
Beginner

I have an i5 8400 and I love it, but getting a little old.

So thinking about either the i5 13400 or i5 12600k

For moderate computing ( I don't game, no using blender or anything heavy), will the 125 watts run at lower wattage when I'm not doing anything intense or will it run at 125 all the time?

Do the watts vary like the cpu speed and watts reduce if you don't rev the computer?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The power (wattage) utilized depends upon what the processor is being asked to do and the rate that it is being asked to do it (think things like individual core clock speed). When the processor is not as busy, the wattage consumed will be lower (sometimes *much* lower). Since the processor is doing so many different types of operations and at varying rates, however, there is no simple scale that you can utilize to say 'if I do this, I will see this'.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
BrunoVincent_Net
Beginner

Thanks for reply Scott!

What I like about my current PC is that it runs at 35 celcius, I don't even need a case fan. 

My tasks are pretty much office based, browsing the web, spreadsheets, I occasionally open tons of tabs on Google chrome, and sometimes large copy and paste, unzipping files. I also use Xampp to develop websites locally.

Would a 125w be revving and running hot for the tasks above, or would it just chugg along without straining like the 65w one?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The current generations of processors and graphics engines - including those from AMD and NVIDIA - generate heat a whole lot easier and a whole lot faster than previous generations. As processing power (and processor core counts) increase, so it seems does temperature volatility. Bottom line, expect higher temperatures and expect fans to be correspondingly revving.

You should *always* include chassis fans. Remember that the temperature of the air being used by the processor and graphics cooling units play a significant role in how fast the fans/blowers/pumps have to run to dissipate the heat being generated. The trick is to use chassis fans that maximize airflow while minimizing speed. This is typically done using larger (120mm or greater) fans.

...S

0 Kudos