Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Windows 10 Compatibility for i7-620UE

RPfou
Beginner

I am investigating possible operating systems for use on a VDM board using the i7-620UE processor. Specifically, with the appropriate memory and RAM, will Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) work on the i7-620UE?

According to the processor's specifications (https://ark.intel.com/products/47935/Intel-Core-i7-620UE-Processor-4M-Cache-1_06-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-620UE Processor (4M Cache, 1.06 GHz) Product Specifications) it is under "https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/32724/Arrandale Products formerly Arrandale" for the Code Name, which is not listed on the Intel https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10? page. The table does not list any Core processors older than third generation.

However, when I look up available downloads for the processor (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/47935/Intel-Core-i7-620UE-Processor-4M-Cache-1-06-GHz https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/47935/Intel-Core-i7-620UE-Processor-4M-Cache-1-06-GHz- ) and filter for the Windows 10 operating system, 2 downloads appear (1 when filtering specifically for Windows 10 64-bit).

My questions are:

1) Could you clarify the support vs. downloads conflict as to whether Windows 10 (Enterprise, 64-bit) is or is not supported?

2) If it is not supported, will Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit still run on an i7-620UE?

a) If it will run, what additional drivers and software would be required, and would be the limitations for running on this processor? (Certain functionality such as video display, audio, etc. are of lesser concern.)

b) If it will not run, what are the limiting factors that prevent Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit from working on the i7-620UE?

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rapfl3

Thank you for joining the community.

in order to better assist you could you provide me with more information about the VDM boards use and set up?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RPfou
Beginner

The purpose is for machinery control and monitoring.

The general specifications of the configuration I'm looking at is:

Intel core i7-620UE, 1.06GHz CPU

32GB onboard Compact Flash module

4GB soldered RAM

1 port for RS-232/422/485 (jumper programmable)

3x RS-422-485 ports on PMC card

Two 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 connection

One VGA port on front panel, support to 1600x1200

One PMC/XMC slot, no P0 connector

VME standard front panel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said, Windows 10 is not formally supported. Your biggest problem is likely going to be with the Arrandale graphics. Whether the MS compatibility driver will support it (well) is the question...

...S

0 Kudos
RPfou
Beginner

I've come across numerous forums and articles discussing Intel not supporting Windows 10 on the first generation processors, particularly the lack of support of Windows 10 with the integrated graphics. However, graphics aren't really a concern.

Is the overall lack of Windows 10 support based solely on the graphics issue, or are there other problems dealing with performance, boot issues, other hardware compatibility, etc.?

Much of the digging I've done on this has been written up in the 2015-2016 timeframe, so is this an issue that has been addressed by other updates (Microsoft, board manufacturers, etc.) in the meantime, or has it generally just been dropped in favor of moving on to the newer processors?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the issue goes beyond graphics. The 5 Series chipsets that support this processor are also not supported (by Intel or Microsoft) on Windows 10. In most cases, Microsoft's compatibility drivers support these devices, but (a) this coverage is not perfect (and Microsoft's response if you call for help will be...silence) and (b) some features, like Intel RST (RAID support), are simply not supported at all. Now, since we're talking about a mobile processor, most of these unsupported features likely won't come into play. You may be ok...or you may not; you won't know until you try...

Wishy-washy answer, I know, but this is the reality of the situation. Some systems work fine, others don't...

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The major message is that Windows 10 Enterprise is not formally supported on this processor. Now, Windows 10 Enterprise will still run on this processor. however there are definite caveats. Device support, including the embedded Intel HD Graphics engine, is mostly provided via the compatibility drivers from Microsoft. These drivers do not deliver optimal performance and there are definitely compatibility issues. Special case hardware drivers, such as that for Intel RST, are typically not available. Neither Intel nor Microsoft will provide support for cases where performance or compatibility issues arise or drivers are not available. As you have found, there are a few drivers directly available from intel that will support Windows 10 on these platforms, but the combinations are no longer being validated by Intel and thus no support will be provided.

Personally, I would get a (much!) newer platform if you want to run Windows 10 (Enterprise or otherwise).

...S