Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Windows 10 LTSC with i9-9900K fails to boot - bootloop

MSims6
Beginner

I have three identical builds with the following components (numbers in bold are ebuyer quick codes):

Main HW:

• Intel Core i9 9900K CPU 859394
  • Hyper 212 Air CPU Cooler 288855
  • Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 UD 861445 (BIOS Updated to latest version F10c)
  • WD Blue SATA 1 TB SSD - 2.5" 801062
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 QF:743023
  • Corsair 750W PSU 429987
  • 120mm Case Fan QF:882187
  • 2 x 80mm 3-pin Case Fan QF:442844

PCI Devices:

• PCI Express - RS232 Card QF 239719
  • 1251.100 CIFX 50E-RE Ethernet I/P Card
  • 2 x Camera Grabber GigE Card AdLink PCIe-GIE74, 4-Port, PoE

I have installed the Windows 10 LTSC edition on all of these PCs, and found that the PC rebooted at different stages of setup i.e. Region, Keyboard, Network etc. 

I moved the SSD to a different build to complete setup and then the PC reboots when it reaches the logon screen.

The PC can boot in Safe Mode, and does not reboot automatically. I left it in safe mode for 1 day and had no problems. As soon as you attempt to boot in normal mode, the boot loop happens again.

I have performed a memtest and that was successful. The PC remained switched on at the summary screen for 3 days without any restarts.

Disconnecting all of the PCI cards and fans does not change the situation.

Can anybody offer any advice as to what might be the issue please? The PCs are already very late for delivery and I have no idea what to try next...

I have two similar builds that worked successfully with some minor differences:

• Processor was Intel Core i5 9600KF
  • Graphics card installed due to no integrated graphics in the i5.
  • Only 1 x RAM (same module)
  • Lower rated PSU (450W)

This leads me to believe that this could be related to the processor as the major difference?

Some files that may be useful:

Event Log - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzp94ju59437b4q/EventLog.evtx?dl=0

msinfo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gttxu988hikta4r/msinfo32.nfo?dl=0

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

MSims6, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you know, when the PC boots in safe mode most of the times it indicates that it is not a hardware problem and the source of the issue is software. What safe mode does is to connect Motherboard, Processor Memory RAM and then retain the information in the hard drive, also the drivers are not working in safe mode. 

What is the model of Memory RAM? Please provide speed, voltage and quantity of sticks.

If you are using more than one stick of memory RAM, please test the PC just using one of them at the time on each memory slot.

What is the model of the SSD/Hrad drive?

Do you have the option to use a different SSD/Hard Drive?

Also, even though the Power Supply works with 750W, there are a lot of components in your system. Do you have the option to test the computer without the video card and use the onboard graphics of the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor?

The problem could be also related to the type of Windows* being used, do you have the option to install a regular Windows* version, not LTSC?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MSims6
Beginner

Hi Albert, all of your questions should have been answered in the original post, but I will clarify again here:

• The model of RAM memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4
    • I have tested with only one stick in each memory slot - no effect
  • The model of the SSD is WD Blue 3D NAND SATA 1 TB Internal SSD - 2.5"
    • I tested with an HDD and there was no effect
  • All tests have been using the onboard graphics - the test with an external graphics card was unsuccessful.
  • I tested with Windows 10 Professional downloaded from the Microsoft site and got the same symptoms.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried this test with the additional PCIe and USB devices removed?

...S

0 Kudos
MSims6
Beginner

Yes, That was my final test yesterday evening. When I remove all of the additional PCIe and USB devices, the reboot happens sooner than with them all installed - it appears to make matters worse.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello MSims6, Thank you very much for letting us know those results and providing that information.

You mentioned that you have two other builds that are very similar to this one, but one of the differences is that they are working with Intel® Core™ i5-9600KF Processor.

At this point pretty much we almost tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario, for testing purposes and to confirm if there is a hardware problem with the intel Processor itself, depending on the board in there, do you have the option to install the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K in one of those two systems that are working with Intel® Core™ i5-9600KF Processor and let us know if the issue remains?

Depending on the results we will be able to determine if the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor might be defective, once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MSims6
Beginner

Hi Albert,

There are three identical builds including the i9 processor, and two similar builds with the i5. IF the processor was defective, this would mean I have three defective i9 processors with the same issue.

In the end, the problem appeared to have a minor link to using an HDMI to DVI cable. When I changed to HDMI-HDMI the performance improved and I was able to boot the PC. There are still some random shutdowns, but only when Windows is waiting at the logon screen. The situation at the moment allowed me to configure the PCs and get them shipped out, though I am still suspicious of the solution.

Martin

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MSims6

Do you have any update on this behavior?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
MSims6
Beginner

Hi Leo, as posted above,

In the end, the problem appeared to have a minor link to using an HDMI to DVI cable. When I changed to HDMI-HDMI the performance improved and I was able to boot the PC. There are still some random shutdowns, but only when Windows is waiting at the logon screen. The situation at the moment allowed me to configure the PCs and get them shipped out, though I am still suspicious of the solution.

Martin

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MSims6, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates and providing those details. 

Thank you also for sharing the outcome of this scenario, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed by replacing the cable to one with a straight connection, HDMI-HDMI.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos