Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Windows 10 don't recognize 10 cores and 20 threads of mine processor.. i9 9820x

frang2
Beginner

corestreads.pnghello, i got ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING, with last bios version, i were using mine processor i7 7820x i just bougt new processor i9 9820x everything working fine but windows and cpuz says it only have 8 cores and 16 threads like mine old i7 how do i fix it without reinstall windows?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

mine friend all test's are oK, there seens some glitch at windows.

processor testing.png

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yep, windows and cpu-z are having a problem.

It may be that your motherboard needs a new bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

ThE BIOS are last version like i told on main topic

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, they may need a NEW bios to fix the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

the problem is not on BIOS, if you check mine photos there have bios working fine with processor there shows all right 10 cores 20 threads..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This kind of problem is almost always the result of a bad BIOS. The fact that the BIOS may, in its Setup screens, report the right information does not guarantee that they do not have bug(s) in their initialization or O/S-reporting code. If nothing else, you need to be talking to Asus and having their BIOS engineers look into this.

That said, I am bothered by the fact that Intel's IPDT is not reporting this properly. I would expect that this tool uses the CPUID and RDMSR instructions to properly identify the processor, not just what is reported by the Windows O/S. While it's true that the tool can only run its tests on the cores and threads that are exposed within Windows, I would have expected the tool to report this discrepancy. Is there anything to this effect within the LOG file? Please upload it. Intel Customer Support needs to look into this aspect of the issue as well.

...S

0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

in atach the test..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks for uploading. Unfortunately, the log says nothing about supported cores/threads. Intel Customer Support needs to look into this aspect of the issue as well.

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello frang2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Please run the following tools and attach the reports generated:

1. Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version
  2. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 
  • Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

i will run test's and give a feedback... but im pretty sure is windows problem on control panel i can see all processors in there.. processadorcores.png

i think if i reinstall windows this issue will solve, might be a problem on register of windows that do not dected all, that's why cpuZ dont see rest of them...

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello frang2,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello frang2,

Thank you for the information provided. In order to provide you the most accurate support and information can you please provide the below information:

• Did you send the Logs to Microsoft*?
  • Were you able to see the cores before? Does the issue start after some update (BIOS, OS, etc)?

Please run the following tools  and attach the reports generated:

1. Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version
  2. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 
  • Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello frang2,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello frang2,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
frang2
Beginner

sorry long time without share feedback this covid19 made me stop work on computer for a while, but i reinstaled windows mine 10cores 20 threads are working Great now! were an windows issue, watch image following it..cpuz.png

now i got one doubt, what exacly memory speed i shoould i buy to works right with this processor?

i will share benchmark results...

UserBenchmarks: Game 147%, Desk 135%, Work 141% CPU: Intel Core i9-9820X - 87.7% GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080-Ti - 194% SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 290.6% SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB - 74.6% HDD: Toshiba X300 4TB - 101.8% RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3000 C16 4x8GB - 104.9% MBD: Asus ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28823533

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The processor is validated and warranted for DDR4-2666, which means everything from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-2666 is fully validated. You are using DDR4-3000, which is a mild (XMP-based) overclock of the memory bus and has not necessarily been validated (nor is warranted to work). But, provided everything is working ok, I wouldn't replace this memory.

...S

0 Kudos