Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Windows 11 compatibility with Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

ALIUNIDO
Beginner

Is there any chance of getting an update for the i7-7500U to be able to get the windows 11 update or install it without any problems?

Labels (1)
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is nothing to update. Microsoft's criteria are Microsoft's criteria. If you want to understand them better, then you need to be talking to them, not Intel.

...S

0 Kudos
vro
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson  you put us on a "catch-22" situation here.

Microsoft's site says:

"If Company believes a processor has been omitted from this list, please contact Company’s Microsoft OEM or ODM Account Manager."
Ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

You're not being helpful.

AlHill
Super User

This is ridiculous.   Microsoft's list of supported processors does not include your processor.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Complaining here, when you were given the correct answer, is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee.   Microsoft has made their decision, and your processor is not supported. 

Talk to Microsoft.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
vro
Beginner

@AlHill 

"[Windows 11 is the new Vista]"

If this ^ is true, I rather stay in W10

"complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee"

I get your point, but a personal laptop is not something that you simply through away just because the hardware manufacturer doesn't want to "talk" to the software maker that runs in it, right?

I own four of these "Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz" and they were a $1,000 each.  Are you expecting me to say "oh, screw it - I'll buy new laptops"?  -no, right.

I know you guys are not Intel employees, but we need the hardware manufacturer to talk to the software behemoth and come to an agreement on either a "feature-light" W11 version or a firmware "upgrade/update" so that the two can run together again, right?

Just FYI, I am also on MS forums trying to talk them into "shaking hands with the grouchy kid in the corner that doesn't want to share his toys".

People like me "small end consumers" are caught in the middle of this, so please help us out of this.

AlHill
Super User

You do not "throw" away your laptop.  You stay on Windows 10.  And, Microsoft has already revised their list of supported processors as of late August.  

This is a technical support forum.  There is nothing that can be done here to help you.  And, Microsoft does not care that you have four laptops.  The rule is 8th gen processors and later.   I have 16 PCs and only 6 qualify for W11.   I would like to have my 7th gen processors support W11, but they do not.  That is the reality of Microsoft's decision.   And, you, with four processors, are not going to change Microsoft's mind.  

Again, there is nothing to be done for you here.   If anything, your laptop manufacturer is who you should contact and have them lobby Microsoft to have your processor supported.

wonsu
Beginner

I think, we not talking about just couple laptops, with 7th gen. processors, but really big group of private, and small business customers, who will see advertisements of Windows 11, only to find out thet their comletly good laptop need to by replacet, to get new OS. I think thay will not by wery happy. And whu thay blame for this situation? On Microsoft forum you will find information that this is bicouse lack of drivers support from Intel side. You say thet this is Microsoft decsion. Who's right?
But realy big group of costumers are start tu think thet if thy wont to get new OS, get new hardware, and create lot of electrical wast...

AlHill
Super User

Rubbish.  7th gen processors are FIVE YEARS OLD.  Windows 11 was not even thought of back then, and the supported OS was Windows 10.   There is no reason Windows 10 will not suffice, except for those who are obsessed with running a "new" OS".

Happy or not, it was Microsoft's decision.   If you do not like it, complain to Microsoft, or grow up and accept Microsoft's rules.  If enough people complain to Microsoft, they may change their mind.

wonsu
Beginner

Well, 7th gen processors was sold in new computers 3 years ago, so that's not an old technology.
Besides, lack of DCH drivers, supported by Intel, could by one source of an bigger a problem, with demending requrements from Microsoft. It's reali rare, in such cases, thet ther is olny one side to blam.
So, as gown up person i blame both sids for playing dirty game with consummers.

AlHill
Super User

Blame who you want, but Microsoft approves and maintains what is on the list. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hey, don't blame me, *I* did not put you into any 'situation'. They always shoot the messenger (sigh!).

Microsoft made these decisions. Microsoft decided that they were going to limit what they would validate with. I know that Intel had to jump through hoops just to get some of the missing 8th gen processors included in this list. That's where it ended. AFAIK, they are not going to make any additional requests. AFAIK, Microsoft has not committed to accepting any further requests for older processors or chipsets. Microsoft has committed to continuing the support of Windows 10, so you have not lost anything. It is not like you are being left out in the cold (though you are being tossed into the back room).

If you have read more of my posts here, you will have seen that I complain regularly about the industry and its lack of long-term support. It is a crime that laptop vendors (yes, I am talking about you, Dell and HP) are producing crap products, providing crap warranties, providing scant support and running their support organizations for profit. How people can continue to put up with this, I will never understand. I believe that warranties should be at least 3 years and driver support should be provided for at least 6 years. Intel used to meet these requirements, but has *significantly* disappointed me in the past few years. Microsoft can't really disappoint me any more; I gave up on them more than 20 years ago when they went to this model of releasing major Windows versions with 60,000+ entries still remaining in their sightings database. People talk about Windows releases being at Beta quality.  Nope, nowhere near *my* requirements for Beta.

...S

Dan6230
Beginner

Microsoft and Intel have a hardware/software partnership that gives you both a responsibility to consumers. I have seen windows advocates claim it is an i7 problem and now I see you saying it is a windows problem. Consumers recognize that as a runaround. You are retired so I suppose you do not speak for Intel as a company anymore but I consider both companies to be copping out on the Customers of their products and when it comes to having spent 1.7K for a Lenovo laptop  with an i7-7500U processor 3 years ago only to find the "wintel" team refuses to support it for one OS upgrade. 1) we will have long memories and 2) it really gives me incentive to buy a MAC that is NOT based on Intel.