Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Windows 11 compatibility

BillyBragg
Beginner

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz

My processor does not meet Microsofts compatibility check for the upgrade from Windows 10 to 11.

Looking at Microsofts acceptable lists they have issued it is apparent it is a lottery to own either a compliant  or a non compliant Intel processor for the upgrade.

(1) With the upgrade being launched on the 5th October 2021 will there be further reviews by Microsoft on what is suitable.

(2) Can Intel through driver updates etc enable non compliant processors to be of a compliant standard.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Complaining here about Microsoft is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee.

1) It is up to Microsoft, but I would not expect anything from them.

2) No

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Madrigrano
Beginner

hello Billy...
This is my case too.
My processor is iCore5 6200U 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz.
It is also on Microsoft's list of possible older processors also candidates for Windows 11.
I agree with you that Intel could give an update to ease the compatibility of the processors that are on this list, but I've noticed harsh and disheartening responses from some administrators in this community, unfortunately. I believe that Microsoft itself will eventually extend this possibility and what remains for us is to wait.
Your comment was very good. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Madrigrano It is not possible for Intel to provide an "Update" to change your 6th gen processor to an 8th gen or later processor, so that is nonsense.  You need to lobby Microssoft to add your processor to their support processor list for Windows 11.

0 Kudos
Madrigrano
Beginner

Hello AlHill...
First of all, thank you for your interest in giving your comment and I want to clarify that I am a home computer user, I am not a computer professional and for this reason there is no reason why you should say that I expressed something "nonsense". I actually expressed myself wrong, because what I tried to say is that Intel has a commercial policy that has a lot to do with Microsoft's development. Both Silicon Valley companies. It's not clear to Windows 10 users why they can't upgrade to Windows 11 when Intel processors don't meet these "requirements". There are people who circumvented the requirements and managed to install Windows 11 without any problems, but there is nothing official at Intel about these processor incompatibilities that Microsoft points out. It would be good for these two companies, Intel and Microsoft, to have greater exchanges to discuss the future of computing in terms of processors and systems, hardware and software. Any scientific exchange between the creator of the processor and the creator of the operating system is always very rewarding for the welfare of all users in the world. Just this.Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Microsoft has decided what processors to support.   What should be clear to users, such as yourself, is that Microsoft produced the list of supported processors, not Intel. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

What should also be clear to users is that Microsoft published a registry edit that will allow users who do not meet Microsoft's requirements for W11, to still run W11.

At The Last Minute, Microsoft Provides a Path to Upgrading Unsupported Hardware to Windows 11

The key word here is MICROSOFT, not intel.  Take your debate and complaint to www.microsoft.com.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, do not get me wrong.   I do not like this anymore than you.  I have five machines, all with PTT (TPM) (one of Microsoft's requirements) that are not on Microsoft's list.  

On one hand, I understand the need to abandon "old" hardware in favor of new hardware with features that support security and stability.  On the other hand, there are a lot of users and businesses that made investments in "new" hardware and cannot upgrade to W11.  Remember the Microsoft rule about 7th gen processors and later not running anything less than W10?

Now, even with the W11 rules dictated by Microsoft, users can still run W10 (for a few years).  I have installed W11 and I have nothing positive to say about it.  My advice to users is to stay on W10.

0 Kudos
Madrigrano
Beginner
0 Kudos