Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Windows Defender Brings I9-9900K to its knees???

greg9900k
Beginner

I have a $600 processor... 16 cores running at 5.0 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, a top of the line system.

Are you telling me that with those 16 cores  with this top of the line processor my mouse cannot run at the same time that Windows Defender is "real time" scanning for malware? 

I have not seen something like this since the 90s.   The mouse is freezing up on the screen whenever Windows Defender is real time scanning.  I could have paid $50 for a processor if this was going to happen, what happened to the 16 cores?  It can't continue to even run the mouse as a basic input device and do Windows' craptastic real time scanning at the same time? 
I go to my Amazon Prime Video Watchlist and my $3000 top of the line gaming rig is brought to its knees as Windows tries to scan all the movie thumbnails for malware from Amazon. 

I am done here, this is the last dollar I spend on PCs.   I have been using, buying and upgrading  PC's for 20+ years.   And now a $3000 absolute top of the line computer can't even keep up with mouse input while its constantly scanning for malware?  I know Microsoft is sh*t these days and is going down the toilet but now your telling me that my $600 I9-9900K 16 core 5 ghz processor can't even keep the mouse going? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you using an old install of windows 10, or are you using an old hdd?  Something is wrong with your install that is causing WD to perform like this.

You have a configuration/OS problem, not a CPU problem.   Also, throwing money at the problem will not solve it.

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
greg9900k
Beginner

Hello and thanks, there was in fact an issue that I fixed using bcdedit /set useplatformclock false in the cmd window.  I did not change that so I am not sure why or how it was changed to true.    But it appears to be fixed.  

0 Kudos