Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14398 Discussions

Windows freeze

ILimb
Beginner

Hello I got a new I7 4790k and when i use windows 10 I get a freeze, I can't do anything can't move my mouse, nothing at all. I can only restrat by force my pc and it happens more and more often and I know that is because of this processor because with my old processor I never had this problem. I tried everything that I sore on internet but still doesn't change anything it still freezes my computer. Does someone has a magique solution ??

0 Kudos
29 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What is happening temperature-wise? Your (re-)application of the cooling solution may be problematic and causing throttling...

...S

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

The temperatues are perfectlly stable. In game it doesn't go over 70

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

OK Thanks i'm going to buy a knew one. But i think it's a bit strange because my old cpu use 2 watt less only. I have a 650 watt made with my computer power supply wich doesn't look very good so.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

Ok i'm going to buy this one https://www.amazon.fr/Corsair-CP-9020092-EU-Modulaire-Complet-Alimentation/dp/B015Q7F4DO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515942434&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+750w Corsair CP-9020092-EU RMX Series RM750X ATX/EPS Modulaire Complet 80 PLUS Gold 750W Alimentation PC EU: Amazon.fr: Infor… I hope it isn't a waist of money.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gYXru-F10FsiBYkhK9xF2gua1dsTsRuI DxDiag.txt - Google Drive Thats all the info of my pc Dxdiag I have updated my bios because some people siad that it could be that but din't change anything but I realized that I had less freezes when in the Bios I have put my Mohterboad in Max Performance MOD.

And for the power supply I think i'm going to go with the corsair one that you showed me.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

I am going to put my old processor and see if the problem is the power supply or the processor do you agree ?

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

And my old processor is a i5 4460

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A couple of comments...

• It often helps to do a reset of the BIOS configuration after a processor change. This will help ensure that nothing specific to the previous processor remains in the configuration.
  • Putting back the old processor *is* a good thing to try. It will let you know whether the problem exists as a result of the processor change operation.
  • I suggest that you try visiting a local PC repair shop. Often, they will do a quick test your system using a different PSU. This will allow you to test the hypothesis of a PSU problem without a financial outlay beforehand.

...S

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

I have a friend that gaved me a 750W PSU, i'm going to test it write now https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UczqyTk2W0RJwHP7Dc0WmF2y8RJJP6Er Photos.zip - Google Drive (my current PSU is the 600W one)

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

I did a stress test and my mouse didn't lag at all so that means that you where right because with my old psu when I did a stress test my mouse was getting very laggy but unfortunately the psu that my friend gaved me din't work propely so I coulnd't try any game without having a restart and a asus anti-surge alert. So i am going to wait untill I received a new power supply to put back my new processor for more stability and no risk damaging anything. Thank You very much for helping me.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

Once again you were right xD. Is it normal that the power does a strange noise like a little "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Jeff, this discussion is about problems with a processor replacement. It has nothing to do with your complaints regarding the INTEL-SA-00088 issues. The comment you are being so prickly about has nothing to do with your previous posts. I suggest that (a) you take a chill pill, (b) you watch your language (you won't get another warning) and (c) you take your complaints to another, more appropriate conversation (create a new one if you wish).

...S

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

I just putted my new alim and it wans't that the problem, I just got a freeze.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Lannis,

I have no idea what you mean by "alim". I will presume you mean you put in the new PSU (Power Supply) and you are still seeing a hang.

So, it's time for you to more-fully describe your system. Please provide part numbers and/or version numbers wherever possible.What motherboard are you using? What BIOS version are you using? What memory are you using? What add-in boards (graphics, etc.) are you using? What peripherals (drives, monitors, keyboards, mice, etc.) to you have plugged in all the time? What O/S (Windows, Linux Distribution, etc.) are you using?

...S

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

About my computer :

I have 2 basic screens 60 hz asus and philips plugged by DVI and HDMI to my gtx 960

I have a logitech g 402 mouse A g810 keyboard and a G633 headset all from logitech plugged in USB 3

My motherboard is a Z97 E from asus and on it I have 2 sticks of ram of 8gb each 1600 MHZ

I have added a long time ago a TPLINK WIFI card on a PCI slot

I always have my driver up to date and I recently updated the bios do the last version without any succes and have also reseted it .

I am using Windows 10 wich i always update.

When my computer freeze I can't do anything at all my mouse dosen't move and my keyboard dosen't even respond when i press caps lock the only thing that I can do is restart by force my computer even if i waited by hooping it will unfreeze nothing I can hope forver

I did a lot of searchs and tests to fix my problems https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-freezes-locks-up-randomly-easily/ Windows 10 freezes randomly [Solved] - Driver Easy https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

I tried everithing here without any success.

And this Is why I accuse my processor or Windows for causing me theese freezes because with my old cpu 0 problems. But I don't understand how a CPU could be falty.

I'm going to try the windows safe mode

And sorry for my writting i'm not very good in english so I hope you will understand.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

For that can you explain me how to do ? Because I din't fully understand

So upgrading the CPU can cause this issue as the original cards are mapped to the original CPU's pathways. But a new CPU typically has different pathways so to re-assign them in the BIOS you have to remove them POST the computer without them and then re-install them with the new CPU and POST again.

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

I just tried without the tp link wifi and the gtx 960 on a different slot and just got a freeze

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you running the latest available BIOS for your motherboard? If not, install the latest available BIOS now.

Go into BIOS Setup and reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults. Make any changes that are absolutely necessary for booting (boot order, etc.). Save this configuration as you exit BIOS Setup.

After reboot, check if you are running the latest version of the NVIDIA driver package. If not, update to this latest version now.

Are you making use of the audio delivery capability in your graphics card (i.e. using speakers in one of your monitors/TVs)? If not (i.e. you are using front/rear audio jacks for speakers), make sure you are running the latest version of the audio driver for your motherboard.

[Aside: Audio and Video drivers are the most common cause of hangs after bad memory.]

Speaking of memory, have you tried using different memory? Tools like MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are not infallible; I have seen them pass with flying colors and yet the memory is proven wrong. I am not suggesting you buy any; see if you can borrow some for a quick test.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Do yourself a favor: Do not use Driver Easy or any of the other driver "solution" sites. They are packed with malware and simply cannot be trusted.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I would never have suggested you needed a new one."

And, I was thinking you owned stock in some power supply manufacturer...

Doc

0 Kudos
ILimb
Beginner

Just to tell I din't took a photo of my new PSU I showed you my friend's faulty one

The BIOS ins't the probleme it give's the correct name and voltage

It can't be the PSU , so im going to put linux to see if it was windows the problem.

0 Kudos