Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14511 Discussions

Worrying temperatures on my i7 2630QM

MSam1
Beginner
Hi all,

I just received my laptop back from my local IT repair shop. I am getting temperatures that are a bit worrying to me. I use Core Temp to monitor the temperatures.

The laptop I am using is a HP DV6 (64 bit) with the i7 2630QM CPU. My ambient room temperature is around 27°C. My CPU's idle temperature was around 60°C to 65°C. Right now, I am using an external fan and it drops to around 50°C to 55°C. I've been using Firefox (aka the most bloated browser) for the past 30 minutes or so and temperatures stays around 55°C to 60°C (except for one point where it was around 65° to 75°C, but I think there was updates being downloaded). I don't play games as often (maybe once a month). I mostly use this laptop for programming projects and for college. Is this normal temperatures for my CPU? Or should I just stop using it and take it in for thermal re-pasting?Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This is your (Sandy Bridge) processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Product Specifications

What operating system are you running? If Windows 10 (any version), your processor and graphics are not supported.

Doc

MSam1
Beginner

I am running on Windows 7

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Regarding your temperatures, they look acceptable to me.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, these temperatures are just fine. Until you start regularly seeing temperatures above, say, 85c, you don't need to worry.

...S

0 Kudos
MSam1
Beginner

Thanks to Al Hill and N. Scott Pearson. This is the first time I have experienced this level of summer temperatures in my country. I sat in my room with my fan off and I could already feel the sweat on my forehead after 10 minutes. I can confidently say that my room temperature was well over 30 degrees Celsius, which could have been the main cause of the disturbing temperatures. I guess this is the outcome of climate change.

I did do a short 'stress' test pushing each core to 100% of its frequency. The temperatures did not exceed beyond 90 degrees Celsius. This gave me the assurance that my CPU is still doing well. Owning this laptop for about 8 years, I was starting to think it was time to let go and get a new laptop.

Thanks once again for giving me the reassurance.

0 Kudos