Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Would it be worth considering the 9th gen i3 processor?

JJose46
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Dell laptop with 4th Gen Core i7 (i7-4500U) which is about 5 years old but still working fine. I'm at the beginning of my business startup and wanted to reduce the initial cost as much as possible. I'm in touch with HP to get me a bare minimum hardware (Desktop without monitor). They've shared the link below

https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/desktops/hp-slim-desktop-s01-pf0113il-7xf19aa.html

I did a comparison with my existing i7 with above mentioned i3 and i3 scores better. The comparison result is given below. You may copy the full URL with productIds.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=75460,134870

Dear friends,

Is it worth considering this product? at least as a replacement for my current system?

Regards,

Jijo Joseph

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JJose46

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

You are comparing two Intel® processors with about 6 years of difference and there is a huge difference among them (lithography, speed, RAM support, graphics...); you have to take in consideration that your current system might not support all the features or software like the Intel® Core™ i3-9100 Processor, never the less if the current system does not present issues with your business software/requirements you should be ok. 

It would be important to confirm with the software developer their minimum system requirements.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

Legacy systems/components (for instance an old CPU) may lack of the latest security updates/firmwares, they may also be unsupported on latest OS version, software, drivers... and son on... as well. You should consider how important security and being up to date with the latest technologies and security updates it is for your business... Anyway, I still have an old laptop with 2nd gen CPU in my environment... it works great, very good performance... I just don't use it to handel critical information... it's kinda a "test device" with VMware...

0 Kudos
game_bài_đổi_thưởng

let me ask if I should buy the 9th generation intel core i3 processor or the 6th generation i5 core

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Only you can decide that. Personally, Buying the 6th gen automatically puts you FOUR years behind

Doc

0 Kudos
JJose46
Beginner

I'm seeing answers are going in a different direction. My query actually was, will the 9th Gen i3 perform better than 4th Gen i7. Because the product which I'm considering to buy is having 9th Gen i3. The comparison resulted in i3 scoring better over i7. Because i3 9th gen has 4 cores 4 threads while 4th Gen i7 has 2 cores 4 threads. I'm not trying to buy an older processor. The question arises from the talk in general public that i3 is not a good processor consider at least i5. I hope everyone understood and apologies for any confusion caused by me.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JJose46

We agreed with all hill, completing the upgrade of your components is your decision depending on your company’s needs.   

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos