Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

X5660 - Number of physical cores for license calculation

GTriant
Beginner

Please for some assistance to read correctly the number of physical and number of logical cores in the attached file.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello GTriant,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GTriant
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I understand the product is discontinued.

Our customer is looking to move on to new hardware and I just wanted to make sure we have right the number of cores. We also need this to draft the request for licenses for the application servers.

I hope someone from the community can clarify if this a single or twin chip, and if we have in total 6 or 12 cores.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The number of cores and/or threads has nothing to do with licensing; it is the number of dies that is utilized in the solution. AFAIK, the X5660 - a Westmere EP Xeon design - utilized a single die.

...S

0 Kudos
GTriant
Beginner

I assume I need to rephrase.

In the attached file I see:

Physical ID is {0,1}. I understand this means that we have 2 physical sockets and X5660 CPUs.

The pysical cores per each X5660 CPU are 6. Therefore, 12 physical cores in the machine.

Is this correct?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you have a motherboard with two sockets and you have two X5660 processors installed, then yes, you have 12 physical cores. Again, though, this has nothing to do with software licensing; they only care about the number of physical dies included in the processor(s). In your case, you have two dies.

...S

0 Kudos
GTriant
Beginner

Many thanks for the response.

I do not have physical access to the machine. The "if you have two processors installed" part is actually the one I am not safe extracting as conclusion from the cpuinfo. This is where I am looking for a confirmation. Could you please confirm?

As for the second point, I dont know what to say, other than this is the thing I was asked for. Also this is what Oracle says here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list-070617.pdf

and here:

https://www.oracle.com/assets/processor-core-factor-table-070634.pdf

Particularly, coming from the first link:

Processor: shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running. .... The number of required licenses shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores of the processor by a core processor licensing factor specified on the Oracle Processor Core Factor Table which can be accessed at http://oracle.com/contracts. All cores on all multicore chips for each licensed program are to be aggregated before multiplying by the appropriate core processor licensing factor and all fractions of a number are to be rounded up to the next whole number. When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One, Standard Edition 2 or Standard Edition in the product name (with the exception of WebCenter Enterprise Capture Standard Edition, Java SE Support, Java SE Advanced, and Java SE Suite), a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket. For example, a multicore chip based server with an Oracle Processor Core Factor of 0.25 installed and/or running the program (other than Standard Edition One programs or Standard Edition programs) on 6 cores would require 2 processor licenses (6 multiplied by a core processor licensing factor of .25 equals 1.50, which is then rounded up to the next whole number, which is 2). As another example, a multicore server for a hardware platform not specified in the Oracle Processor Core Factor Table installed and/or running the program on 10 cores would require 10 processor licenses (10 multiplied by a core processor licensing factor of 1.0 for‘Allothermulticorechips’ equals10).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The X5660 processor has 6 cores and 12 threads. Your report details 24 different threads (it calls them 'processors'), which means you have 2 physical processors installed. You can also look at the Physical Id field, which shows values 0 and 1.

...S

0 Kudos