Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) problems

MStei19
Beginner

I had been using XTU v6.5.1.321 and publishing benchmark results in hwbot.org site, but suddenly results weren't being sent to hwbot anymore (page opens in browser, but Analyze option is not available since there is no benchmark data exported), so I decided to uninstall XTU to install again, but I got a message that it somehow failed to uninstall successfully. Now, I get setup failed, error 0x80070643.

Only changes before it stoped sending data to hwbot may have been some Windows updates and installing some 3D benchmark (Unigine), which I already uninstalled.

Please help.

Log file attached.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
MStei19, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. As you mentioned above the problem could be related to the Windows* updates, based on the error code 0x80070643, there might be a chance that Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 could be outdated or corrupted. To try to fix this problem we can try to uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2012, after that do the same with the Intel® XTU application and uninstall it from "Apps and Features" then reboot the PC and re-install it again: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427 What is the model of the processor? Which Windows version are you using? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MStei19
Beginner

Hello, thank you for your answer.

It's Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, build 1809.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, CPU Core i7 4790K.

It was running OK, until it just stopped sending results to hwbot.org

It showed errors while uninstalling, but uninstalled anyway, so I can't uninstall now, but installing isn't possible either (see attached errors). So basically I'm stuck.

I read before about Microsoft Visual C++ 2012, but it's not installed. Actually, this is a fresh OS installation and have installed only a couple benchmark apps. Everything else is working, just XTU seems upset.

Any better ideas?

0 Kudos
MStei19
Beginner

I discovered that one of the errors in the log file was related to system restore points, which were not enabled, so I enabled them. Also found some other troubleshooting guide somewhere else, that says:

The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility install problem is with windows handling of the installers.. and uninstall programs. 

I fixed this as follows: 

1) Have the currently installed version's install file (executable) ready. If you do NOT have this, you may have to find the EXACT version installer that your Intel XTU program was installed with. For instance, in my case, I had to download the Windows 8.1 version that was last installed before upgrading to Windows 10.. from the MSI Website. 

DO NOT USE THE MSI LIVE UPDATE! 

2) Download 7Zip, a file archiving tool that will allow you to unzip EXE files, and install it (7zip). Reboot to get 7zip options in your right click menu. 

3) Attempt to install the latest, most up to date, XTU (which will fail)

A) Open the log file directory

B) Open the MSI.. XTU log file which should be around 12 to 13,000 bytes

C) Scroll to the absolute bottom of the log and click in the empty space

D) Click edit, find, and then search UP for the second instance of "Return value 3"

If you've done this correct so far, you'll see a line above that states something like "target not found/etc/etc" What's happening is, the uninstall process of the previous version isn't being done right because the install files for it cannot be found.. so we need to "find them" for this to work. 

Take note of the EXACT directory that log file refers to when it's looking for the uninstaller; it should be something like c:/users/[admins username]/AppData/Local/Temp/[something like IIF4F2D.tmp]/[followed by the uninstaller or legacy .msi file

E) If that folder doesn't exist, create it by hand by navigating there in Windows Explorer and using the right click menu to "create new folder".. and you can copy and paste the EXACT folder name from the log file. 

4) Copy and paste the .exe installer FOR THE OLD/CURRENT VERSION INSTALLED ON YOUR SYSTEM HERE!

5) Extract ALL of the contents of this file into the same folder that you just copied the executable in by right clicking the executable, click 7Zip - Open Archive then select ALL of the files, click Extract making sure that the folder they are being extracted to is the SAME temp folder we just copied that executable into. 

And WALLA! We've just "found" the OLD installer so that the new Intel Extreme Tuning Utility can execute it and uninstall the old version. 

If this "trick" fails, it is "most likely" because you have NOT found the correct installer for the old, or currently installed version. You can determine this by opening the log file again, scroll to the bottom, click the empty space, and then search up for the 2nd instance of "Return Value 3" and read the 10 lines or so above it for an error that reads something like "incorrect version/etc/etc" 

If so, download another version, and another.. until you've located the exact version from which you LAST installed the XTU Program. 

Happy Hunting! 

P.S. NOT ONLY DOES THIS TRICK WORK ON THE Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility or Intel XTU but it also works on Intel(R) Rapid Storage driver, Intel(R) Rapid Start, and the Intel(R) Management Engine drivers

THIS WAS NOT USEFULL TO ME. I'm attaching the most recent failed install log.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
MStei19, Thank you very much for sharing that information and those details, we are sorry to hear the issue persists. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
MStei19, I just received an update on this matter. Just to let you know, there is a newer Windows version available which is 1903, please uninstall the Intel® XTU from "Apps and Features", then install all the windows updates including version 1903 and re-install the application again. Once you get the chance, let us know the results so we can further assist you. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MStei19
Beginner

I may have not been crystal clear about the uninstall. While uninstalling it said something like some files couldn’t be removed, but anyway the process finished and there isn’t an entry for XTU anymore.

The latest Windows build isn’t available to me yet, but every other update has been installed already.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MStei19, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MStei19
Beginner

I haven’t been able to install again, and since it’s a recent install I may be reinstalling Windows to get rid of the problem.

BTW, this whole problem started because HWBOT wasn’t getting my benchmark results, and I’ve tried XTU in a couple other systems after that and all of them are having the same problem. I’ve just figured out how to circumvent the problem through saving the results and uploading the file, but it was kind on confusing because it seemed at first that you’re saving the settings and not the benchmark results.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MStei19, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates and for sharing those details.

Perfect, we are glad to hear that there is a solution or workaround to circumvent the problem by saving the results and uploading the file when using the Intel® XTU.

To re-install the Operating System will be a good option for this scenario, please back up any important files or information that you might have in your computer before trying the re-installation.

Any other inquiry, please let us know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MStei19, I just wanted to check if you were able to re-install the operating system and if the problem persists after that?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
MStei19
Beginner

Yes Alberto, reinstalled Windows and was able to install XTU again. What a pain in the ....

Hwbot integration doesn’t work the way it used to, but the work around I found later does, so I’m moving on and not uninstalling XTU again, hopefully.

Fix that installer!!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MStei19, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Excellent, it is great to know that you were able to install the Intel® XTU again and that the workaround you found allows you to use it the way you needed to.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
OlNerd
Beginner

Hello!

I just installed the latest version of XTU on a brand new system. I built this system from scratch very recently, using all the latest high-performance bells and whistles. The problem I am having is in the benchmarking section.  When I click Compare Online I immediately get a message box saying an error occured trying to upload the profile

I had a fresh install when this happened. A few days later, I reinstalled W10 to see if it would fix the problem. It did not.

If anyone knows the answer to this problem, I'd appreciate your feedback. - This is an awesome new machine and I'd love to know how my new hardware and OC stacks up.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?  If not a K or X processor, XTU does not support your processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
OlNerd
Beginner

Al,

My has an  i9-10900K CPU 

The rest of the system consists of a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, a GeForce RTX™ 3090 VISION OC, 32 GB of G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 @4266XMP, three M.2 NVME Samsung EVO Plus 2TB SSDs and an ASUS ProArt 27" monitor. 

I've been running on an Intel Z77GAL for a long time now. I decided that it was time for a major upgrade, and I did it...

0 Kudos