Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

XTU Installation hangs

zotric
Beginner

XTU install hangs very near the end, according to the green bar.

I have a version of the BIOS (supplied by ASRock) that enables Watchdog timer although I don't think that is strictly essential for XTU is it?  However, I do not see WDT in system devices or using HWINFO64 (ACPI devices) where it has sometimes appeared in the past.

System Support Utility log attached.

Best regards

0 Kudos
10 Replies
zotric
Beginner

Update: I manually installed the drivers (dpinst.exe) and now the Watchdog timer driver has been added to ACPI devices in HWInfo64.

But when I try to run the program (PerfTune or XtuUiLauncher) it says drivers are 'not present'.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:

• Was the Intel* XTU working fine before or it is the first time that you try to install it?
  • Provide us the specific XTU version you are trying to install.

Please try the below recommendations:

Completely uninstall the XTU:

1. Uninstall Intel® XTU using Apps and Features:

• Delete any folder named Intel® XTU from these locations: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel", "C:\ProgramData\Intel".
  • Delete the folder named "Intel® Intel Telemetry" under “C:\ProgramData:”.

2. After uninstalling the current Intel® XTU, download and install the latest Intel® XTU version available 7.0.1.4.

Motherboard:

• Make sure that you are using the latest BIOS available for your system.
  • To be able to use the software you have to enable this on BIOS. Since we do not handle the specifications of your ASRock motherboard, the best will be to contact the manufacturer, so they can guide you in this process.

I'll be waiting to know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
zotric
Beginner

Hi Maria

I’ve answered the questions below: I had the right version and it started to work after I raised the call but unfortunately it would not overclock the CPU, which is a 10940X.
So now I have uninstalled it and reverted to using the BIOS to control the speed. 
It would be nice to get Xtu working though.
More detail below.

Two new questions:

1. I think the BIOS settings affect the way that Xtu works.  Would you please let me have details of any necessary BIOS settings to make Xtu work correctly?  BIOS settings are often poorly documented by board manufacturers so this would be very useful.

2. A request: could the monitoring service in XTU please be installable as a separate app? It gives more usefully presented information than HWInfo64, for example.

Answers to questions and description of steps taken.

1. Previous installation:
Yes it did work in the past and I had uninstalled it.
On that previous installation I had exactly the same problem with XTU installer but eventually managed to make it work.
I was never sure that it was working properly because when I loaded previous settings  the PC behaved very oddly so, to prevent potential damage, I uninstalled it using the normal uninstaller in Control Panel.

2. Version reported on:
I already have version 7.0.1.4.

3. BIOS version:
I have the latest BIOS which was recently supplied to me by ASROCK because I needed WDT enabled for Performance Maximiser.
I gave up on Performance Maximiser but using that did help me better understand the settings.

Steps taken:

After I had raised this issue I found that for some reason the XTU service had been installed and XTU would run so the installation probably completed when I restarted the PC.
Unfortunately when I applied overclocking using XTU the settings did not take effect.
I believe this was caused by my BIOS settings but at the time I had no idea why.

Per your instructions I tried to uninstall 7.0.1.4 using Settings / Apps and Features (By ‘Settings’ I mean the thing that is supposed eventually to replace Control Panel).
Xtu still appeared in Control Panel /  Programs and Features. 
So I ran the Control Panel / Programs and Features uninstaller too.

After that, the Xtu service was still there and also a lot of XTU components in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\
These were: XtuApplication.dll, XtuApplicationInterfaces.dll, XtuCoreServer.dll, XtuInterface.dll and XtuService.exe
I disabled the service, the PC was working OK and I could overclock from the BIOS.

Now the service has disappeared, along with the above Xtu dlls  so I suppose the uninstaller completes on  restart.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Thank you for your detailed response.

Regarding your 2 questions:

1. I would like to provide you more information about the motherboards, however, since they are not from Intel* the information may not be accurate, the best thing to do is to contact the specific motherboard manufacturer; if the documentation they have on their website is poor you can request detailed information about their system compatibility with the overclocking tools and the features they will support. You can also check the websites A Guide to Overclocking with Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and How to Choose a Motherboard (you will find info about what the Manufacturers Add to the motherboards regarding overclocking and other specs. *Keep in mind that is general information and not about your specific system)
  2. Thank you for the comment, and feedback, I will pass it to the department in charge.

• Can you please confirm if the Intel Performance Maximizer is installed? If so, this can be causing a crash during the installation and may cause that the app didn't run as expected, there is no guarantee of system overclock compatibility when using other overclocking tools, including Intel® XMP. It is recommended that users do not use Intel® Performance Maximizer in conjunction with other overclocking software. You can this and more details here.

If by any chance, you try to install the app again and have issues, you can try the steps below (just as an FYI):

First, uninstall the IPM. Check here the steps for uninstalling it (page 21)

Try these two steps first.

1. Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility.
    1. Use the Windows* 10 Apps and Features.
    2. Search for Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility.
    3. Click uninstall.
  2. Open the Task Manager..
    1. Check under Processes for XtuService.
    2. If found, click End Task.

If the issue persists, follow the steps below to completely remove the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility.

1. Locate installutil.exe at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe.
  2. Locate XTU service at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe.
  3. Using those pieces of information, open a command prompt as an admin and enter your information for the location of the Extreme Tuning service. (Your location may be different. An example is given below.)
  4. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe /u C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe.
  5. Delete any folder named Intel® XTU from these locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel and C:\ProgramData\Intel.
  6. Delete the folder named Intel® Intel Telemetry under C:\ProgramData:.
  7. You may want to reboot your system (optional).
  8. Download and install the Intel® XTU application.

Please check and verify before installing that you actually uninstall the tool, check also the device manager, under "Software Components".

I really hope that you can use the PC with the specific settings you want to. I checked the motherboard's manufacturer website and I found the support for Intel XMP but not for Intel XTU, we encourage you to confirm the information with the motherboard manufacturer, so they can properly guide you and explain about their BIOS configurations and features.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
zotric
Beginner

Hi Maria

Thank you for the detailed information. Still working on it!

In answer to your question, I did have Performance maximiser installed at one point.  I uninstalled it some time ago.  Could something have been left behind that is making life hard for XTU? 

Thanks for checking ASRock support for XTU; I had not noticed that.

I'll finish looking at your reply, especially the document link, but I'm a bit tied up at the moment - actually using the machine instead of tuning it!

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Thank you for let us know!

To answer your question, yes; if the Intel Performance Maximizer was not uninstalled properly it can be causing conflict with the Intel* XTU, so please check on this.

Also, remember to confirm the information with ASRock*, and don't worry about the time, I will keep your thread open for a few days and I may be following up on it, you can always request to close it and open a new one any time!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello zotric,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos