Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

XTU Not Functioning Correctly Part 2

TDean1
Novice

Continuation of this:

After newest update, app-pairing is not function correctly yet again. The release readme says download some windows update before you install but when you go to the link, it gives you a pdf instead. When reverting back to a previous version, when an app is on top, it says that the modifiers are in overclocked state but the processor frequency shows that it isn't doing anything. When plugged into ac on this newest update, the modifiers don't change at all but the program highlights the top app in a yellow outline. But in battery mode, the modifiers highlight for a second and then it changes back to the default clocks. Answer mentioned in first link no longer has any effect.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
TDean1
Novice

I'm on windows 7 64bit ultimate btw. SFC didn't find any integrity violations. XTU doesn't function at all when clean boot mode is on. 5.1.1.25 shows the correct proposed info when the app is on top but the actual processor frequency at the bottom right does not change appropriately. The newest version, both places don't work at all. The required update, I found a download but it says that it was already installed on my machine.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Please continue with the same thread /thread/75933 XTU App Pairing Not Functioning Correctly

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

Why? Obviously it's a different issue....

Is this gonna be the part where you keep coming in saying stuff that don't matter instead of answering the question?

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Did you try uninstalling the previous version, restart the system and then installing the new version?

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

But I went to the other thread like you sai...

Yes. Multiple times trying out different versions. Uninstalled > Restarted > Installed > Restarted > Configured > Tested. Every time.

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice
0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Below you can find some information from HWBOT support site not all the Motherboard BIOS are fully compatible with Intel® XTU.

Some XTU users have reported issues with your Laptop model, disabling the BIOS TPM feature will make the XTU to function correctly.

Technical Limitations and Restrictions

A major problem with XTU and the level of integration it is promoting are the technical limitations. After all, it is already difficult for vendors to come up with their own fully functional software. What XTU offers is a unified solution – one that works on all boards. That means mainboard developers have to stick closely to the BIOS Writer's Guide and official Intel guidelines. However, as you know each vendor has their own way of implementing features, going from the way they program the CPU core ratio to voltages and even memory timings. Some motherboards BIOSes do not support certain options or vendors may have locked down parts for security purposes. For example, a motherboard vendor might opt to limit the voltage range for low-end products.

It is a challenge for Intel, the mainboard vendors and HWBOT to come up with a unified solution. It takes hours to test and re-test new BIOS features and their implementations. As reward for going through the rigorous process of readying the motherboards for XTU, the products that do pass tests will receive official Intel XTU certification. This way everyone, including the community, will know what boards are guaranteed to work with XTU.

http://hwbot.org/news/9556_intel%C2%AE_extreme_tuning_utility_intel%C2%AE_xtu_information Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) Information

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=76892 [ANNOUNCEMENT] HWBOT Integrates Intel Extreme Tuning Utility ("XTU"): Opportunity to Grow The OC Community! - HWBOT foru…

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

Thing is though, is that it was working fine 4 or 5 months ago until that last thread I made. Then I fixed it by turning that feature off in the other post. Then it just stopped working all over again recently. I noticed when some games started to play very slow. I had a few chipset updates in Driver Reviver. Do you think that could have made things incompatible or do you think some windows updates could have?

For the chipsets, How do I go about restoring the first set back to my computer without having to reinstall windows (so that I can test and see if that is the culprit)?

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

The Intel® XTU works together with the BIOS, if you make a change using the Intel® XTU it goes direct to the BIOS and apply the change. If you have some options grey out, is because the Intel® XTU is not reading the option from the BIOS.

My conclusion is to check the BIOS settings or update the BIOS, make sure the BIOS lets you make changes.If you can not make changes in the BIOS (change volts, core options, increase memory speed, etc) you won't be able to do it using the Intel® XTU.

Try to make the changes you wanted direct to the BIOS and save it. If you are able on the BIOS you should be able to do the same using the Intel® XTU, if you can not, this is the reason why the software does not work properly

The Intel® XTU depends from BIOS, Motherboard, Chipset and the RAM

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

I can overclock normally just fine. It's just that per app overclocking is not functioning correctly. I dnt want to overclock like that though because it doesnt conserved energy like the per app overclocking does. Since you have mentioned chipsets, again, how do i return the chipsets to their factory defaults without reinstalling windows? Intel doesnt make them uninstallable like normal programs/drivers.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sh1nRa358,

The chipset driver is a little program; we install it after the operating system installation. Visit your laptop manufacturer website and search for an older chipset driver for your computer.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

I know this. That wasnt the quesstion. I already have those drivers. Back in the day, u couldnt just doubleclick the installer to revert. So have u guys improved on that or do i still have to install these the hard way (safe mode, one by one, hard disk, etc) since all those years ago?

0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sh1nRa358,

It is necessary to download the older Chipset file from your motherboard manufacturer website. Keep the file in your desktop. Then go to device manager, right click on the current chipset driver, uninstall and delete it then, install the older Chipset driver version.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

Figured it out yesterday and reinstalled xtu and alot of options were greyed out. So I reinstalled the the newer drivers. Things I've noticed:

-Turning app pairing back off causes xtu to display default normal clocks to the right (if you overclocked by default) but it's still overclocked like you left it as seen by coretemp

-When app pairing is on, xtu reads that the frequency is normal frequency, but coretemp reads that it is in fact overclocked.

-Retoggling app pairing on, proposed and active readings will be inconsistent and not what you told the clocks to go to.

So I guess overall, xtu just isn't reading correctly and app pairing isn't at least showing correctly. So for right now, I'm going to just use the overclock without app pairing and I will just turn down the processor power in windows with autohotkey if I particular program is on top. At least until xtu becomes more stable.

All the benchmarking parts read the default clocks only. When you do the overclock to compare, it still only uses default clocks. So you will be comparing default to default instead of default to overclock

It use to work correctly so I don't know what the problem is since I tried to downgrade the chipset drivers. Don't really see anything else in the bios that could affect it.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

At this point I recommend you to contact your laptop manufacturer and check if our tool is supported by your system.

It is possible to check your processor's health with our stress tool test: Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64-bit)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit-

This tool will confirm to you if your processor is over clocked or not.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

The tool is supported. It was part of the setup drivers for the system.

Tool Results:

http://postimg.org/image/ye2oof4e5/ View image: pass

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sh1nRa358,

Thank you for your answer. In regards the results of IPDT, your processor passed the test; however, the screenshot didn't show expected speed and current speed of the processor.

Please run the application again, go to View tab, it will show all the results of the test.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TDean1
Novice

Kinda pointless since you already told me to look in bios to see if settings stuck in which they did. Tried again and my pc cut off because it is stressing the pc too much. No game uses 100% cpu power like a benchmark. This is why I asked for a temp limit setting in another thread

0 Kudos