Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

XTU can not be removed after installation hang. And I can not install XTU neither

Random1943
Beginner

Hi,

I have encountered a very strange issue. I was trying to install the new XTU 7.0.1.4 but the installation hanged. I used task manager to force terminate the installation process. Then I see XTU shortcut appears on desktop and the software can run. But when I tried it, it says watchdog not available.

So I decided to uninstall this XTU, but surprisingly it is not shown in the 'Add or Remove program' app in Windows 10. I tried to stop service and delete files as found online but not help. I found a similar issue at https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/XTU-Installation-hangs/td-p/1222562, but this one also don't have any solution.

Now I don't have any XTU on my desktop but something still prevent me install the new XTU. When I try to install, it says there is already a version 7.0.1.4 in my computer. 

Could you help me with it?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?  What OS?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Random1943
Beginner

Hi AIHill

I'm using an i9-7980xe on Windows 10 (build 2004). It seems more like a software glitch. Somehow after I kill the installation process of XTU, it has been partially installed and persisted in a weird way in system. Like in the device manager, there are like 28 items with exclamation mark under software component related with XTU. I uninstalled those as well only found they replaced by Generic pnp driver (ish) items.

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

Thanks for your response.

• Could you please provide screenshots or pictures of the device manager?

• Verify on the task manager, on the Process tab if there are any XTU app at the Background process. if yes, please stop the process or end task.

We will be waiting for your outcome.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Random1943
Beginner

Hi Jose_V_Intel,

Attached is a screenshot of the device manager. The Generic software components are a result from me removing XTU software component. 

Yes I have followed the uninstallation guide in the link but it's not helping. I still can not install new XTU as it said an existing XTU detected. 

Currently there is not XTU process nor any XTU services I can find.

Jing

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

Thanks for your response.

We will proceed to check this internally, I will post back soon as soon we have more details.

Regards.

Jose V.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

Thanks for your time.

• Please check with you OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) the BIOS settings, since some overclocking tools may have a compatibility issue with Intel® XTU.

• Try loading BIOS defaults.

• Can you please share a screenshot of the error when installing the XTU?

Regards,

Jose V.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards.

Jose V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Random1943
Beginner

Hi,

Yes I have tried all the aforementioned methods, such as restore BIOS to default and uninstallation procedure of XTU. Attached are error messages, log of the installation program, and txt log of intel SSU.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

I appreciate your response.

We are going to work with this information, as soon we have an update we will let you know.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hello Random1943,

We are still working on this current issue you have with this Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), there are some left steps we want you to follow:

• After double-checking, we need you to have the last BIOS version updated in your system. (Check with manufacturer steps)

• Make sure to update your Operating System to the latest version 20H2 Build 19042

• Set BIOS default settings since XMP is enable

• Verify on the task manager, on the Process tab if there are any XTU app at the Background process. if yes, please stop the process or end the task.

• Please confirm if you re-install the OS.

• Since you have different drives and partitions installed, make sure there are no Intel® XTU files.

• Check if you are using or have installed a similar software or application for overclocking from your motherboard manufacturer.

We will be waiting for your outcome to every question.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hi Random1943,

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards.

Jose V.

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hello Random1943,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards.

Jose V.

0 Kudos