Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

XTU hangs at splash screen

TMerc3
Beginner

Probably due to recent BIOS update... but XTU just hangs on splash screen, never starts up. I tried removing, reinstalling, restarting.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What processor model number?

What version of Windows 10?

Doc

0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Fully updated does not mean anything. You could be at version 1507, fully updated.

Go to start, settings, system, about, and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will find your version number.

Doc

0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
Yeah, whatever update version came out in last few weeks, I'm not in Windows now, but check updates is green, no updates available / up to date this afternoon. 1507 if that's the most recent version.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000022307131.5601237416761504E12,, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, the Intel® XTU version 6.5.1.321 was validated to work with Windows* RS3 or higher, the Windows* version that you are using is RS1, you will be able to confirm that information in the following link, please look for "Release Notes" and once you open that link look for "Supported Operating Systems":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
I'm using 19H1, I'm fully updated. Not RS1, which is from August 2016. Jeez.
0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
Windows 1809, build from May 21, 2019, son. Make XTU work.
0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
I'm putting it to 1903 just to be sure, but xtu has stalled at the splash screen in every incremental update that I've rebooted to... Windows version is probably not the root cause.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000022307131.5601237416761504E12, Thank you very much for clarifying that information.

The reason why I suggested to do a Windows* update is because I saw that you mentioned that you were using Windows* version 1507. Based on the fact that now you are using Windows* 1903 and the problem remains then, as you said, it seems the operating system version is not the root cause for this problem.

Intel® XTU was developed mainly for Intel® Core™ X and K Processors/Unlocked processors. Although it is supported by other platforms, the results may vary and users may only use it for monitoring purposes.

The Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ, is a mobile processor, not a K or X version, also, it is not showing under the list of supported processors by the Intel® XTU, so we cannot guarantee that it will work properly with the platform that you are using, please verify the links below to confirm that information:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97456/intel-core-i5-7300hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

In addition, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility displays various controls and provides access to features based on the system's motherboard and processor configurations. Not all processors provide real-time support for all controls. Motherboard manufacturers can restrict access to various controls that prevent the user from overclocking or optimizing those settings. In other words, the performance of this tool when running on mobile platforms may be limited by BIOS and power management features laptops usually implement.

We recommend contacting the computer manufacturer in case optimization tools for mobile systems are required.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
I saw that you mentioned that you were using Windows* version 1507. Where did you see this? I don't know why you're going on about 7300HQ not being supported by XTU. Every modern intel chip can run XTU. This 7300HQ was running XTU just fine, until the most recent BIOS update. Please be useful. Please don't be a naysayer. The problem is suddenly XTU hangs on the splash screen. I can't tell whether the undervolt settings I applied previously are still persisting. The problem has nothing to do with the CPU. The problem is XTU won't even load up to its GUI. Again, the GUI for XTU should load (go past the splash screen) even for an AMD chip. As long as XTU is functional in Windows, it should go past its splash screen and actually load the main window. It's not doing that. Please offer actual support.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000022307131.5601237416761504E12, Thank you very much for your response.

Since the Intel® XTU was designed mainly to support Intel® Core™ X and K Processors/Unlocked processors, it is possible that after a BIOS update some units that were using it before might not be able to use the application anymore.

There is a reason why there is a list of supported processors for the Intel® XTU, all the Intel® processors that are not in the list and that are mobile are subject to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) restrictions or customizations done, for example, in a BIOS update.

So, at this point, what we recommend is to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of your computer for them to provide further suggestions on this topic, maybe there will be a new BIOS version to be released with the fixes in reference to the Intel® application or maybe you can try to rollback of the BIOS version as well, they will be able to confirm or provide more options for this scenario.

We apologize that the information provided might not be the response that you were looking for, but that is how the Intel® XTU works.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
"but that is how the Intel® XTU works." Answer what I wrote. Will/can/should XTU get past the splash screen for any/all processors, as long as windows is compatible version?
0 Kudos
TMerc3
Beginner
Don't you think XTU should get past the splash screen on ALL CPUs? Shouldn't it load past the splash, and then display a relevant error, like, "CPU not supported"?
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

3000022307131.5601237416761504E12, Thank you for your comments.

Actually, the Windows* version can be fully compatible with the application, but, if the Intel® processor is not showing in the list as supported by the Intel® XTU, then the behavior of the tool can be different on each platform, in some of them it might not start, it might get freeze in the splash screen, it might start but not with the full capabilities just basically for monitoring, it could be different depending on the system.

I also wanted to let you know that I send your comments and feedback to the proper department for them to be aware of your suggestions for future releases.

I hope the information provided was useful for you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos