Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14964 Discussions

XTU setting 2 cores to 800 MHz

Timtheuselessgod
Beginner

Randomly on start-up, XTU will turn 2 cores on my 10900KF to 800 MHz. It's never the same cores, nor are there any changes to bios being made at that point, it's always just within XTU. Once I can open the program and adjust the cores back to where I have them set, everything works normally. 

It's not a consistent error either, just shows up randomly, but will persist across restarts or shutdowns until I adjust the core speed in XTU. It's almost like there's an error loading the profile so it loads a default value that overwrites my profile until I readjust it. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are sorry to hear that XTU is setting 2 cores to 800 MHz on your CPU.  We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Can you please provide us with some screenshots of the issue while performing a stress test/benchmark?

SSU: Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Also please, try the following troubleshooting and reply with the outcome:

In addition if the issue persists try the following steps:

Resolution

If the error is with a customer-created profile, follow these steps:

1.     Load default profile.

2.     Re-create the erroring profile.

If the issue is happening with the default profile, follow these steps:

1.     Uninstall the Intel® XTU app.

2.     Delete the default profile.

3.     Install the Intel® XTU.

4.     Reboot the system.

When you’ve found settings that result in successful overclocking and a stable system, you can save the profile in Intel® XTU to have a known working configuration. This can be useful when replicating different tests and for keeping successful tests.

To save a profile:

1.     Click the Profiles tab.

2.     Click Save.  You will be able to name your profile.

To load a saved profile:

1.     Click Profiles tab and select the one you would like to load.

2.     Click Show Values button to preload the settings (changed values appear in yellow in Advanced Tuning tab).

3.     Click Apply to use those settings.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

• Can you please provide us with some screenshots of the issue while performing a stress test/benchmark?
  • Provide us with the SSU.

Also please, try the following troubleshooting and reply with the outcome:

Let us know if you still need assistance. Otherwise we will close the thread.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Timtheuselessgod
Beginner

I'll send some screenshots if it happens again, but like i said, it's a random issue on startup and hasn't happened since my initial post. 

Screenshot 2023-10-26 103436.png

Bios is latest version, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XTU, along with completely deleting the profile and rebuilding it from scratch. Issue still randomly pops up, but isn't consistently caused by one thing, seems random

0 Kudos
Timtheuselessgod
Beginner

here's the SSU.txt file

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for patiently waiting.  

We just received an update on this matter.

Some Intel® Core™ processors may show 800MHz, as this is the minimum frequency without the core being in a parked state. This is an indication that Windows* is not using those cores. This is a normal behavior.

It would be more concerning if 800MHz was showing during a stress test or benchmark which is supposed to use all cores. We think this is not the case, right?

Also, the core values in XTU are modified, this frequency should change, which we believe it does properly. If there is any specific issue with the information above, please let us know.

Best regards,

Jose B. 

0 Kudos
Timtheuselessgod
Beginner

This isn't Windows parking a core, it's XTU setting that core's multiplier to 8. It persists at that speed, regardless of task, until I can load xtu and reload my profile. it'll stay that way on stress tests, or if i load into a game.  most often it happens to two cores, but I've seen it set up to 5. also persists across installations of xtu, regardless of whether I delete the folder after and do a completely clean install.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for your reply.

We are truly sorry to hear that the issue still persists, and it is affecting other tasks. Allow us to keep researching on this matter, and we will post any update here.

Best regards,

Jose B. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for your patience.

After reviewing the information provided, it appears that the minimum frequency of 800MHz without the core being in a parked state is expected behavior, and Windows is not actively using those cores. However, to better assist you and gain a more comprehensive understanding of the issue, we kindly request additional details.

Could you please confirm if you are observing the 800MHz frequency during CPU stress testing as well? If this issue persists upon restart, it would be immensely helpful if you could provide us with screenshots, videos, XTU logs, or any other relevant information that could shed light on the matter.

Your cooperation in providing this additional information will greatly assist us in identifying the root cause of the issue and providing you with an effective solution. We understand the importance of resolving this matter promptly, and we are committed to ensuring that you receive the best possible support.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Timtheuselessgod
Beginner

I'll send what I can next time it decides to do it. This isn't just downclocking, that's normal, this is the multiplier being set to 8x. Liike i said, it's random when it happens so i'll leave this open for now.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

Thank you for responding.

We sincerely apologize for the continued inconvenience you're experiencing. We appreciate your patience.

Please keep us posted on any updates, and feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. Additionally, sharing XTU logs, screenshots, videos, or any relevant materials related to the issue would greatly assist us in better understanding and resolving it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello ,Timtheuselessgod

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please keep us posted on any updates, and feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. Additionally, sharing XTU logs, screenshots, videos, or any relevant materials related to the issue would greatly assist us in better understanding and resolving it.

Let us know if you still need assistance. Otherwise, we will close the thread.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Timtheuselessgod

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos