Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

XTU undervolting problem

AIrwa
Beginner

I tried to undervolt the i7 7700HQ in my Lenovo Legion Y520 and it resulted in my CPU performing WORSE than before. I used to be getting 590 cb on Cinebench but now after the attempted undervolt I only get 280 cb which is quite a big performance decrease. I have tried putting my settings back to default, uninstalled XTU, and resetting my BIOS and none of these have solved the issue. As far as I know undervolting should not damage anything so I am pretty sure that my CPU is not damaged.

One thing to note is that when I tried reinstalling XTU, my previous profiles where still there, which leads me to believe that XTU did not fully uninstall or maybe it is normal. Also, after I restart my laptop and immediately benchmark it I get scores like 590 cb which is what my CPU is supposed to get. However if I benchmark it again I get 280 cb. So there is some hope but it is far from being solved.

PLEASE HELP. Any contribution is appreciated thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello, a1rwan. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

Firstly, allow me to mention that the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is intended for unlocked/overclockable processors (cf. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427 Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility Download, supported products section).

Additionally, the risk of modifying the default settings of the processor is too great and the results may vary. Also, your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) can modify some features of the processor as its convenience in order to install the unit on the main board.

In this case, for you to restore your processor's features back to default, please get in touch with https://support.lenovo.com/us/en Lenovo* Support.

Antony S.
0 Kudos