Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Xeon 5500 Series Serial Number Barcode

idata
Employee

Can anyone tell me the specifications for the 2-D barcode serial number on the Xeon 5500 series processors? Most of my customers demand serial capture for warranty purposes. I have used a 2-D scanner (HandHeld Products), but it either can't read the format or the barcode is too small. Any recommendations for getting the serial numbers...preferably prior to integration of the CPU? Please don't reply about removing thermal paste, since the serial number is not human-readable and is not located on the heat spreader.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
John_S_Intel
Employee

Intel typically asks customers who contact us for support to write down all of the numbers on both the heat spreader and the substrate. Some CPU's, such as mobile processors and the Core i7, do not have a human readable ATPO - only the 2D barcode. We use Cognex scanners to read them (2D barcode serial number). On the Xeons, I believe the serial number is in human readable format.

John S.

Intel Customer Support

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
idata
Employee

John,

Thank you for your reply. So far, we do see the 2D barcode only on newer Xeon 5500 series processors, but it is good to know the i7 has the same 2D barcode format. Do you happen to know the model of Cognex scanner in use? We may have hundreds to thousands of these serial numbers that will need to be captured.

Thanks!

John_S_Intel
Employee

We use the Cognex DataMan* 7500 S/N 808-0008-1.

John S.

0 Kudos