Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Xeon E5 2696v3 vs I9 7980XE

KRadu
Beginner

Hello. I want to update my system by changing the socket, from x99 to x299, to switch to E5 2696 V3 at the new I9 7980xe processor.

I deal with rendering, video conversions that require power and speed, because if I'm not happy with the result I do the same thing again

It's worth it ? Do I get some performance gain?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, kata40.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

These two processors you are sharing have very similar specifications nonetheless, I can not assure you which of them will have better a performance. The performance can be affected by the other hardware components that your system configuration has and the software you are using to render the videos. I would highly recommend you to get in touch with your software developer and share with them this question so they can determine which of these processors will have the better performance for your needs.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
KRadu
Beginner

I can not contact anyone because I was alone buying this configuration I have: E5-2696v3, Asus x99 deluxe 2, Power supply coolermaster 1000w, samsung echc ram 2400mhz, samsung m2 ssd, etc

You say they are equal to the power of the processors, then why in Corona Renderer I draw 7100 and I9 7980XE pull out 11000?

Why in Cinerbench my R15r pulls 2700 and I9 7980XE pull out 3400 stock?

why in Ray Ray I9 7980XE it beats me clearly?

What is the difference in these tests?

Why in handbrake, my converts with 60 fps and 4k video and i9 7980XE takes 115 fs?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply kata40.

As previously mentioned, these processors are having similar specifications but I can not tell you exactly which will have a better performance. Those benchmarks attached to your post are provided by 3rd party sites and Intel® does not support them as well as the rendering sites. For you to get the best recommendations please contact the developers of the rendering sites and benchmark sites and they will provide you with more accurate information.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
KRadu
Beginner

Are the same, but the new king of new 2066 socket is much powerfull

The benchmark say that

Now you can tell me, my processor does exist, no?

on intel site, it isnt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, kata40.

Your processor is a tray one so it should not be available in our https://ark.intel.com/ Intel® Product Specifications site, I found information about this processor in our internal documentation.

Antony S.
0 Kudos