Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Xeon Phi SC7240 VCCCLR high temperature

JRoeh1
Beginner

Hello,

during testing a SC7240P, I suspect that some of the cooling may be not sufficient. If I offload work to the coprocessor I can get it work for about 3 min before the device cannot be opened e.g. micinfo shows no data.

I simultaneously ran 'micsmc-cli show-data --temp' and just before the knl is not responsible anymore these are the temp readings:

mic0:

Thermal Information:

Die : 68 C

Fan Exhaust : 60 C

VCCP : 77 C

VCCCLR : 110 C

VCCMP : 51 C

West : 60 C

East : 31 C

Does anybody know where the VCCCLR sensor or its IC is located ? I've got a HP ML370 G6 server - all fans on maximum, but this one sensor seems to be off or the thermalpaste is old or something else.

Maybe someone can shed a light on this issue and I can reapply thermalpaste on the specific IC.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

I would like to inform that this particular product has reached the EOIS (End of Interactive Support) with Intel.

I can offer you my assistance trying to fix your issue; however, please understand that this support is limited to my knowledge of this product

I am sending you the datasheet of the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor x100 Product Family, on page 11, you will see the location of the temperature sensors.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-phi-coprocessor-datasheet.pdf# page=11

Additionally, I am sending you a workaround provided by our Intel® Developer Zone community related to overheating issues with Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor 7110P.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-many-integrated-core/topic/498452

I would provide further assistance if needed.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

I apologize for the confusion. You are right, the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor 7240P belongs to the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor x200 family; as well this device is End of Interactive Support now.

Now, in regard to the sensor, it is located under the passive Heat Sink (under processor plate).

In the same document on page 19, it provides a diagram of the Passive Solution. The cooprocessor chip is sealed, it is not possible to open it.

https://www.intel.com.tw/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-phi-coprocessor-x200-family-datasheet.pdf# page=19

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
JRoeh1
Beginner

sorry, but that's vague.

What to do you mean by cooprocessor chip. Regarding my first post, one can clearly see that Die Temp is under 80 °C.

Is VCCCLR under the heatspreader located ( I doubt that, because of lower Die temperature) or somewhere near other ICs (maybe near the East VR's) ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

The coprocessor chip is under the heatsink. The temperature sensor location requires a non-disclosure agreement.

I suggest you pay attention to section 3.3.2.1 Passive Cooling Solution Airflow Requirements on page 19. It provides details on the amount of airflow the intel coprocessor requires from the system.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

I am following up your case. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JRoeh1
Beginner

if you could contact me under the linked email, specifically about the NDA, I think that I can resolve that issue.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

I have received your personal information and sent it to my upper level. Hopefully, we will get an update in 24 to 48 hours.

Regards,

Miguel C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mumba,

Thank you for waiting for our answer. We tried to get all the documentation available about the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor 7140P; however, this product is already out of support and warranty and the information is limited.

Taking into consideration your Xeon® Phi SC7240 was sold as an embedded device in a third party product; my recommendation is getting in touch with your system manufacturer or vendor and request more details of your product.

I am sorry we were not able to provided further details of your product.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos