Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Xeon w-2155 will not turbo to 4.5 peak is 4.0

JCata2
Beginner

Running Cinebench my max turbo is 4.01GHz getting scores of 2100's

My son's Intel Core i9-7900X with 2 fewer cores and is getting same scores but his is peaking that the 4.5GHz as it should.

Am I having an issue or is this normal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Jhoncatalano,

Yes that is totally normal behavior, because turbo boost will depend workload, environment, and platform design. Keep in mind that based on working conditions you are not always going to get the same performance with turbo-boost.

The threads being used is an important key factor to keep in mind, thus if you use a single core application for your Intel® Xeon® W-2155 Processor you will get 4.50 GHz, but if you use multiple cores at the same time the performance increase will vary depending on the load. This could explain why the Intel® Core™ i9-7900X X-series Processor can reach its peak. Please check your Benchmark settings and make sure only one core is being used when this is being tested.

I hope this information can clarify your concerns about the processor's behavior.

Eduardo_B

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi Jhoncatalano,

Yes that is totally normal behavior, because turbo boost will depend workload, environment, and platform design. Keep in mind that based on working conditions you are not always going to get the same performance with turbo-boost.

The threads being used is an important key factor to keep in mind, thus if you use a single core application for your Intel® Xeon® W-2155 Processor you will get 4.50 GHz, but if you use multiple cores at the same time the performance increase will vary depending on the load. This could explain why the Intel® Core™ i9-7900X X-series Processor can reach its peak. Please check your Benchmark settings and make sure only one core is being used when this is being tested.

I hope this information can clarify your concerns about the processor's behavior.

Eduardo_B

0 Kudos