Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Xubuntu on 32-bit Intel

Rhunadan
Beginner

Hi. I need to install Xubuntu on my notebook with Intel Core i3 330M. It seems it supports 64-bit operating systems while the processor is 32-bit. Will it work with Xubuntu?

It's also said 32-bit Xubuntu will work if the processor supports PAE. Can't find out whether it does.

What would you recommend?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

The processor is 64- bit.  It will run 32-bit and 64-bit windows.  Xubuntu?  No idea.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/47663/intel-core-i3-330m-processor-3m-cache-2-13-ghz.html

It supports PAE and NX/XD:

"Physical Address Extension (PAE)

The processor must be running in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode to use the NX processor feature. PAE is a processor feature that enables x86 processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows. The Intel Itanium and x64 processor architectures can access more than 4 GB of physical memory natively, and do not provide the equivalent of PAE. PAE is supported by 32-bit versions of Windows running on x86-based systems only.

When DEP is enabled on a system that has a processor that supports the NX feature, PAE is automatically enabled." 

Xubuntu?  You will have to check with the linux community.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

The processor is 64- bit.  It will run 32-bit and 64-bit windows.  Xubuntu?  No idea.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/47663/intel-core-i3-330m-processor-3m-cache-2-13-ghz.html

It supports PAE and NX/XD:

"Physical Address Extension (PAE)

The processor must be running in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode to use the NX processor feature. PAE is a processor feature that enables x86 processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows. The Intel Itanium and x64 processor architectures can access more than 4 GB of physical memory natively, and do not provide the equivalent of PAE. PAE is supported by 32-bit versions of Windows running on x86-based systems only.

When DEP is enabled on a system that has a processor that supports the NX feature, PAE is automatically enabled." 

Xubuntu?  You will have to check with the linux community.