Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

about ice lake-u support ddr4 3200....

Beginner

what I want to ask is should I buy a laptop with ice lake (such as 1035G1) porcessors and I plug ddr4 3200 memory on it and it can run the memory on 3200mhz?If it's so then I didn't get it on dell inspiron 14 5493. when I plug Crucial ddr4 3200 SODIMM memory on it and it only can run on 2667mhz even I update all three available version bios one by one.can somebody from intel tell me why?is that suppose be dell's fault?32003.jpg32002.jpg32001.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your Ice lake processor supports DDR4-3200.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196603/intel-core-i5-1035g1-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

For any problems you have with your dell laptop, you must contact Dell for assistance.

Doc

0 Kudos
Beginner

yes,I know I know. I already contact Dell. By now they are look like still in a shock.😑 ...~

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Whether memory can be run at its native speed is dependent upon a large number of factors, either individually or in combination - the processor, the memory, the motherboard, its BIOS and/or the overall system design. In most cases, it is limitations in the design/implementation of the motherboard and/or its BIOS that are responsible. Regardless of whether it is truly their (Dell's) fault, since your warranty - including that for the processor and chipset components - comes from Dell (not Intel), you need to be dealing with them on this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Beginner

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-14-5493-laptop_reference-guide_zh-cn.pdf

but the dell pdf tell me it shuld supports ddr4 3200 memory. thats what confuse me.😅 can they still be some kind test on running ddr4 3200 memory on the ice lake-u system so they lock down the memory speed as the same speed as the comet lake system?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, so you believe everything you read? Hold Dell accountable; you paid them good money for their technical support...

...S

0 Kudos
Beginner

ddr 4 3200 and 32EU is the most feature make me choose ice lake not comet lake laptop. if there is a maket policy that some highend ice lake laptop can run on 3200mhz but the low order ice lake laptop can only run on 2666mhz.that will so disappointed me.😣

the dell technical support thing still just beginning.😑 oh my holy dell......

0 Kudos
Beginner

I mostly became a intel fan since The second half of the 1990s. I noticed At this time all ice lake laptop system from all brand computer manufacturer in china consumer market either user the lpddr3733 or ddr4 2666 memory system. none of them using the ddr4 3200 memory on ice lake laptop.so I think there maybe that is not a coincidence the ddr4 3200 memory system on ice lake my not had a usable driver at this time. that's the reason made me come to intel community to take a look.😶 do you guys in usa having some example for ddr4 3200 Successfully running on ice lake-u laptop?🙂

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is a cost difference between 2666 and 3200 ICs. You, as an individual, purchasing DIMMs/SODIMMs at retail, may not see any significant difference in your cost -- but a Dell, building *many* laptops, can save a significant amount of money by using only 2666 memory.

If ARK says the processor supports 3200 memory, this means that Intel has fully validated 3200 memory on their reference platform for this processor (and its corresponding chipset). Intel gives the designs for their reference platforms to companies like Dell, so that they can take advantage of Intel's learnings in their implementations. If they do the right thing, they get laptops that run 3200 memory well. If they don't (if they, for example, try to cheapen the design to save money), however, then they get systems that won't run 3200 memory properly.

...S

P.S. Please watch the expletives; they're not acceptable (though I liked "Oh my holy Dell" 😝).

0 Kudos
Beginner

yes ,I will take the expletives advice😉 . thank you very much. Of course, About the save cost guess. I think many people in china love the new feature form ice lake-u supports ddr4 3200. And wish they will not tolerate the saving cost on this feature. At least when I and my friend trying upon every combination with Hynix and Crucial ddr4 3200 memory. we are upseted. 😅 Hope this issue is just a bios bug not a saved cost event. I will keep trying dell tec support. Thanks for u appreciation again.🙂

0 Kudos