Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

activate PTT on this CPU Skylake i7-6700

eliassal
Novice

Hi, I have Skylake i7-6700 LGA1121 on a Gigbyte mainboard. Following my query to their support, I understood that (their response ) "This MB have the Intel Platform Trust Technology ( PTT )"

When I check with, for example  Powershell, I get

TpmPresent : False
TpmReady : False
TpmEnabled : False
TpmActivated : False
TpmOwned : False

So if it supports PTT, I am not able to find PTT title in the BIOS in order to activate it. So my question is "How can I activate PTT on this CPU? Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to get a BIOS update that supports it. If there isn't one, you are out of luck. Also, if you are asking because you want to run Windows 11, your processor is not supported either. With a little hacking, you may be able to install and run Windows 11, but Microsoft has stated that you will be denied support - including security updates - if you do this.

...S

0 Kudos
eliassal
Novice

Thanks, yes I found where to enable it and now when I do 

get-tpm in powershell I get the following:

TpmPresent : True
TpmReady : True
TpmEnabled : True
TpmActivated : True
TpmOwned : True
RestartPending : False
ManufacturerId : 1229870147
ManufacturerIdTxt : INTC
ManufacturerVersion : 11.0.0.1163
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 11.0.0.1163

ManagedAuthLevel : Delegated
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : False
AutoProvisioning : Enabled
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime : 2 hours
LockoutCount : 0
LockoutMax : 32
SelfTest : {}

Does this mean that I have TPM version 2?

If yes, this is the requirement for win11, why do you say it is not supported?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
eliassal
Novice

Thanks, I found the PTT in "peripherals" and enabled it, now when issuing

get-TPM, I get 

TpmPresent : True
TpmReady : True
TpmEnabled : True
TpmActivated : True
TpmOwned : True
RestartPending : False
ManufacturerId : 1229870147
ManufacturerIdTxt : INTC
ManufacturerVersion : 11.0.0.1163
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 11.0.0.1163 

Does this mean that I have version 2.0 of the TPM?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @eliassal 

1. Click on Windows key + R. In the windows write tpm.msc and click OK. TPM Manager will open.

2. Read the version of TPM (see the attached image.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The TPM requirement is only one of many requirements that Microsoft is making. The killer in your case is because Microsoft requires at least an 8th gen processor and you have only a 6th gen processor.

There are a number of Microsoft articles that discuss the requirements:

Windows 11 Specs, Features, and Computer Requirements

Windows 11 System Requirements

Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors

Now, there are ways that you can run Windows 11 on older processors (and even processors that do not meet the TPM requirement), but you need to understand the consequences. Microsoft states,

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.

Remember that 'Damages' include your system being vulnerable to hacking due to a lack of security updates.

The good news is that, so far, Microsoft seems to be providing unsupported systems with access to all updates. What we don't know is if this will continue to be the case.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos