cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

big bug in 10th core x VID mechanism, worst avx512 overclocking

Guys

from the days I working on 10th core x cpu, this is the most problem I found and I am sure there is no way to fixed it by MB manufacture or AMI or Intel, since I asked many times and there is no any helpful answers from Intel support.

here is the problem:

on 7th core-x CPU, I could use adaptive mode voltage to overclocking, set a uplimit for sse instructions running at 4.6G, let's say 1.23V, and set Offset to -0.01V, AVX Offset -5, AVX512 Offset -9.

In such config, the voltage for SSE Instructions is 1.23V, for AVX instructions it will auto down to 4.1@1.1xV, for AVX512 instructions it will auto down to 3.5G@1.0xV.

all working good, even for AIDA64 FPU thermal stressing, it wont have thermal problem.

But things for 10980xe is huge different~~~~

When I config the same settings on 10980xe, the adaptive mode can not control the voltages for CPU cores. Even I set a up limit 1.23V, when system boot into os, the voltage for cores is different from 1.3~1.4V, yes you heard that, 1.3~1.4V.

It will shutdown immediately because of thermal problem when do the same FPU stress.

So I have to use manual voltage for 4.6@1.23V, then it was normal again, no thermal problem through FPU testing.

But, on such high voltage, even running AVX512 instructions at 2.8G@1.23V, at stock freq, it will facing thermal problem again~~~~~

After days of testing, I found out that problem is the VID table for new core-x CPU.

for 7980xe the VID table has a top of 1.3V, no matter how higher the freq you running, the highest voltage for core in auto mode is 1.3V.

and if your up limit voltage use for adaptive mode voltage is between 1.2V-1.3V, then every thing is fine.

but 10980xe have a Ridicules~~~ VID table, once you set CPU freq at 4.6 or 4.8, the auto voltage could hit 1.35V-1.4V, and then in such condiction.

adaptive mode voltage only work when your up limit set between 1.3V-1.35V. if the uplimit is under 1.3V, is was not working at all~~~~~~~

I mean, anyone who is not insane will set 1.3V@4.6G ????????

So I write email to AUSU, AMI, of cause in this forum.

answer from AMI: Please inspect your motherboard and verify its manufacturer...... and bla~bla~, nothing useful, not their problem.

answer from ASUS: no, this is Intel's rule, we can do nothing on that.....bla...bla....nothing useful, not their problem.

answer from Intel: we do not recommand you to do overclocking.............

What? are you F**King kidding me?

you know that no one would buy your product if your core-x only running at stock freq !!!!!!!

I write this article cause I want someone in Intel would take care of this.

I want 10980xe to be perfect on every angle especially things on OC, cause this is the only thing you can beat ryzen3.

this is a loyal consumer's hope on your product, maybe I dont have much power to make you do any changes about this, I still hope someone would consider this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Hello Jiangv,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We noticed that you have been assisted regarding these concerns under the following thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004YDVII/what-is-the-difference-of-cpu-vid-between-7980xe...

Regarding your concerns, we value the overclocking community and offer a number of great features that enhance their ability to increase processor frequency and performance. However, even as we work with the community to push the boundaries of what’s possible for those desiring additional performance, we want to be transparent that there is always a level of risk involved and every silicon is different so the outcome can vary from one processor to another when it comes to overclocking.

Overclocking is comprised of many different variables and each individual has their own methodology, all of which carries an element of risk and lie outside the parameters that Intel tests and validates. For those customers who are interested in overclocking but are concerned about the risk, we now offer the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. For customers who sign up for this plan, we will replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications. Please visit: http://intel.com/go/tuningplan for more information.

Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; cause the processor and other system components to fail; cause reductions in system performance; cause additional heat or other damage; and affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications.

We do not comment on exact overclocking frequencies or voltage relative to processors, and most of these features and settings are part of BIOS settings in the motherboard, as well how the voltage is sent to the processor, since this is something that is not controlled but the processor but by the motherboard.

You may check the processor is working within specification by running the tools provided in the previous thread (Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)), as well as referring to the support web links for overclocking shared in the previous thread.

It is worth mentioning that Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE Extreme Edition Processor and Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE Extreme Edition Processor are processors from different families and in case they are used on different motherboards, this can also have an impact on the behavior and performance.

We really appreciate your feedback and we will share it with the proper department. Also, if you would like to help to improve Intel® processors, you may also share your feedback with the Intel® Resource & Design Center.

We will proceed to close this inquiry.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos