Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

can i get a list of motherboards [servers] and processors [xeons] combinations that will allow the unit to function as a single node?

rustythorn
Beginner

i've fairly certain that xeons made on and after 2012 will work with at least 2 or 4 processors, however, how about 8? my application will be with linux and openMP.  there was a post last year that got close to the answer

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XBlSAM/theoretical-peak-performance-gflops-of-the-intel-xeon-cpu?language=en_US 

posted by @AMale2​ 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello rustythorn, I was reviewing the information provided; however, could you please so kind and be more specific with your question? Are you looking for a list of a single processors server boards? On the other hand, would you like to run the application with 4 processors or 8 processors? I will be waiting the information in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
rustythorn
Beginner

you can ignore below if you want, after typing, i realized my main question is really just: what motherboards would allow eight Xeon E7-8800 v1 or v2 to function as a single node?

thanks for the reply, a single processor would be a mute point, a single multi-core processor has a shared memory, hence why i asked for "with at least 2 or 4 processors". for simplicity lets just focus on 8 processor setups. for example the dell poweredge gen12 C6220 can house 8 xeons, however, i'm fairly certain it can not function as a single node [ie you could run MPI but you could not run openMP on all 8] particularly since they can only handle E5-2000's. i know i can run Sandy Bridge-EP xeons as a single node particularly the E5-2000's as a dual processor single node with up to 16 cores and the E5-4000's as a quad processor single node with up to 32 cores. possibly all of the Sandy Bridge's 2000's and 4000's could be used as a single node, i'm not sure. however, i once tried to use a dell poweredge gen11 R910 with four Xeon E7-4870 but i could not get it to work as a single node. i know more now than i did then so i might be possible but i want more info before i try again and if i did make another attempt with that older tech i would want to build a eight processor machine with Xeon E7-8800's. the next possibility would be using eight Xeon E7-8800 v2. so my main question is what motherboards would allow eight Xeon E7-8800 v1 or v2 to function as a single node?

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for the information provided. By any chance, do you still have any question about it? Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
rustythorn
Beginner

yes, the question i put in the first line "what motherboards would allow eight Xeon E7-8800 v1 or v2 to function as a single node?"

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Let me verify this information for you in order to provide you the most accurate information. As soon as possible, I will get back to you with those details. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for been so patient on this thread. I would like to inform you that the Intel Xeon E7 Family is a tray processor, Due to the fact that this family is tray, only an OEM Server Board will have compatibility with it. For instance, I found the following SuperServer Board from SuperMicro that will support 8 processors the model of this is: SuperServer 7089P-TR4T. As a conclusion due to the fact that this processor family is tray and will support only OEM ServerBoard my best recommendation is to contact a OEM Manufacture in order to clarify and double check those details. Please, if you have any other question do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if you still need assistance in this thread. If so, please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
rustythorn
Beginner

that board only works with the newest xeons and not Xeon E7-8800 v1 or v2, looking through SuperMicro options, i could not find anything that would work for Xeon E7-8800 v1 or v2, they do have a board for Xeon E7-8800 v3 or v4, but alas my high school's budget cannot afford anything newer than 5 year old tech

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, The information provided previously was just an example in order to let you know how to accomplish the implementation that you are trying to accomplish. However, my best recommendation will be to contact an OEM Manufacture of Server Board and double check with them a system that will have compatibility with the Intel Xeon Processor. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
rustythorn
Beginner

so i ask which OEM Manufactures of Server Boards will support octa socket E7-8800 v1 or v2 in a SMP configuration and your suggestion is to contact the OEM Manufactures of Server Boards?

i am able thank you for spending time on this topic

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, No problem Harry, Unfortunately we do not have a list of OEM Server Boards in order to find you this information our best recommendation will be to contact some OEM manufactures. Also, due to the fact that the processors is a tray processor this family of processors will work only with third party server boards. If you have any other question please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if you have any other question in order to assist you with. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I am following up this thread in order to make sure if your have any other question. If not, please let us know in order to proceed with the next step or close this thread. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I am following up your thread in order to make sure and see if you still need more information on this? If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I have not seen any activity on this thread since many day ago. So, I am going to proceed and close it. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos