Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

can speedstep stop working?

idata
Employee

Hi,

i have an ASUS laptop, with a i7-2630QM processor (model N53SN). Suddenly all 4 cores are at 2.9Ghz (turbo speed) all the time, even in idle, no processes running thar require cpu. I formatted the OS, searched for viruses, done everything.

The only solution was to limit the speed in windows 10 OS, by messing with the processor max and min state under the power options/plans. I can get all 4 cores to a fixed speed, and they stay like up there no matter what speed i limit them (never goes below 800Ghz, that i suppose its the minimum)

In the BIOS outside the windows power settings, the speeds goe crazy again, the fan goes crazy, hot as hell.

I cannot and never tried overclocking it and my bios does not have an option to either turn on or off speedstep.

The only thing i can see is that speedstep stop working, is this possible? is there a fix?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello joaoalves,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

Was this behavior present with the previous operating system? I noticed that your computer manufacturer does not fully support Windows® 10 for this model, so I would like to check if the behavior present before

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy

thanks for the reply. This behavior was not present with windows 7 (the OS that came with the laptop) but i do not think that is the problem.

This laptop was functioning properly with Windows 10 since it launched. Besides the problem manifests itself even without any OS, just the BIOS (blank hdd). So i really think it can not be the OS fault. More, now it's just the OS that is controlling the CPU behaviour, outside the OS like i said it goes crazy, full turbo speed on all 4 cores (2.9Ghz) even in idle with none to almost none processes running.

I tried almost everything before posting here, if it were virus (found nothing), the bios (the bios is the same since 2011), the OS (installed two different versions of windows 10). My doubt is can the CPU loose the capacity to do the speedstep? it really looks like it's the only logical explanation. I am not an expert and of course it can be something else. But if you tell me this can or cannot happen i can try to solve it in different ways

Is there anything that i can do (software or hardware based) to be sure speedstep is working. I downloaded from Intel website a software tool to test the cpu bit it passed the test, but i did not see a speedstep test.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113549 joaoalves, if the issue is also present in the BIOS screen is now indicating this is hardware related. The Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology should be working if it enabled within the BIOS, make sure it's enabled.

Click the "How do I use Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology?" section here; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005723.html Frequently Asked Questions about Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology... , to find the steps on how to enable it. For you to know, these steps may not work for Windows® 10 since it was intended for previous operating systems.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113549 joaoalves, hope you were able to follow my suggestion.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i tried. Windows 7 did not solve the problem, nor did i hope it did, because i had W7 and then W10 for a long time and this never was an issue. In the bios there is nothing about processor speed or speedstep or anything similar. I had already put the bios on default settings.

My solution was to "cap" the speed and in "system cooling policy" is "Passive" on windows power options. It is slower, way slower, but it is as good as i can make it. Back to W10.

It may well be some hardware issue, i just can't see what. There are no processes asking the processor to go nuts, it does this even in bios witch does not have an option to control the processor in any way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree, this test indicates that there could be something wrong with the processor. At this stage, the recommendation is to get in contact with ASUS regarding this situation, they may be able to provide more troubleshooting steps in order to address this matter and if possible check the warranty for your computer model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos