Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

compatibility with gigabyte bios update F9b

asmit28
Beginner

You posted this : https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1586 GIGABYTE Leads Safety Actions Against Intel CPUs' Speculative Execution Vulnerabilities | News - GIGABYTE Global

After bios update here are the problems:

1) slow boot up, boot increased with 10-12 seconds

2) cooler is noisy with same rpm, 1200 rpm, same temperature, is torching all the time like a cat

3) strange noise like a weak continuous beep from time to time

4) webpages loading increased with 1-2 seconds, you can fell it and see it

5) benchmarks from cpu-z decreased in single thread from 440 to 390 and from multi thread from 1550 to 1500

6) gigabyte dosent care, no response

intel i5 7400 and gigabyte b250m ds3h

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello smithh,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

Since the BIOS update was provided by Gigabyte their support is the only one that can comment on this issue, please try using different contact method in order to get more information: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support Support - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
asmit28
Beginner

You have only half right, there's need to be a correlation and a collaboration between intel and gigabyte. If their engineers are so smart to produce the update without support from intel, then hire them to fix the vulnerabilities for you. If their engineers are so smart to know so good the intel processors without support from intel, then who knows, maybe next years gigabyte will produce processors too. Right?

Lets talk with amd to produce mb for intel also and release a bios update for intel processors vulnerabilities but that will reduce performance with 50 %. You want to be secure you renounce at 50 % performance, you dont need security, you have 100 % performance.

0 Kudos
asmit28
Beginner

Or can i create a factory that produce mb for intel platform and release a bios update to fix your vulnerabilities but also reduce processor performance by 50 %? Because that's you are saying. You dont mind, correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/121637 smithh, I understand your concern.

The update was provided by your computer manufacturer and only them can comment on it, from my end there is no information for this BIOS. The information available from our end can be found in the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html Side-Channel Analysis Facts and Intel® Products

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks Andrew, I needed the laugh; sarcasm *is* the best medicine! I was starting to go a little mad over the complete and utter idiocy of some of the postings (in both directions) that I have seen today...

I have often given the same feedback as Amy, but similarly not explaining why. The board manufacturers, because of their volume, have paths for rapidly escalating issues to Intel (and with much higher priority). When issues like this come up, it is thus far, far better to have them escalated by the board manufacturer. If there is a problem with their approach or their knowledge, then via these escalation paths, Intel can get the right information - and education - to them. Unfortunately - and I believe that language and/or language comfort issues play a role here - these folks seem to have a natural inclination to just punt the user back to Intel rather than doing the right thing and use the proper paths that they have for escalation up through their own development organization (and on to Intel). Further, only by them seeing the issue being raised by multiple customers will they understand of the impact of the mistakes that they (or Intel) are making and, though proper escalation of issues, will the right thing be done about them.

Am I stating this in a form that makes sense to you?

...S

0 Kudos
asmit28
Beginner

Of course i understand. I'm playing with kids all day. They trying to trick me all the time but they forget i was once a kid, just like them.

Hope everything settles good for all of us.

0 Kudos