Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

core component drivers source

Hints_CatchUp
Novice

An appropriate question for the right address in community, relates to previous mobile core components: Intel 3400 chipset + H55 Express chipset + 82801 [JB / JR?] I / O controller. Although outdated devices, still run fine with Windows 8.1, which will be MS supported until 2023, intended for use in economically disadvantaged households. Usable devices already do not have to increase the e-waste disposal site - irreversible entropy generation.

So now, so called "professional" driver updater software (ask me for the name of the vendor - they ascribe themselves as 'innovative solutions') provides the information that on these boards more current drivers are available for some intel core components:

• intel 5 series 3400 series chipset family pci express root port 2 - 3B44
    old version 6.1.7601.24441 from 2006-06-21 versus new version 10.22.53.158 fron 2014-08-07
  • intel 5 series 3400 series chipset family SMBus Controller - 3B30
    old version 6.1.7601.24441 from 2006-06-21 versus new version 19.5.19.82 fron 2021-02-25
  • intel 82801 pci bridge - 2448
    old version 6.1.7601.24441 from 2006-06-21 versus new version 7.0.1.1011 fron 2008-11-07 [Can it be misleading and fatal if there are different drivers for the JB and the JR variant?]
  • intel display audio
    old version 6.12.0.3065 from 2010-06-21 versus new version 6.16.0.3208 fron 2018-04-26
  • intel HM55 express chipset LPC interface controller - 3B09
    old version 6.1.7601.24441 from 2006-06-21 versus new version 9.1.9.1005 from 2013-07-25
  • intel management engine interface
    old version 6.0.0.1179 from 2009-09-17 versus new version 6.2.50.1050 from 2013-02-19
  • intel turbo boost technology driver
    old version 1.2.0.1002 from 2010-02-26 versus new version 04.00.01.1025 from 2012-10-12
  • Reserved - 2D13 (? function ?)
    old version 9.1.1.1022 from 2009-10-28 versus new version 9.1.9.1005 from 2013-07-25
  • intel 5 series 4 port SATA AHCI controller
    old version 9.6(!).2.1001 from 2010-04-13 versus newer version 9.1(!).9.1005 from 2013-07-25
  • intel 5 series/3400 series chipset family USB enhanced host controller - 3B3C
    old version 9.1.1.1020 from 2009-08-20 versus 9.1.9.1006 from 2013-07-31

With due care when looking at this information: Do they contain a grain of truth because they seem plausible at first glance? If so, where does Intel provide these drivers for download? Unfortunately, I have no plan to find something suitable in the downloadcenter.
The supposed solution that I was just hoping to find was to install and run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant software instead. But...
... this genuine Intel software now only lists some common driver version statuses, fi. graphics, audio, network, but generally nothing for the core components! and did not show any indication of new version statuses or driver updates - unlike the plausible update information of the "professional" driver updater software application already mentioned.
By the way: The latter found the Intel HD Graphics driver to be up to date, whereas the Intel Driver and Support Assistant Tool recommended installing a newer Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver. Rhetorically, Who should be able to make sense of this perplexity?

I am aware that the OEMs can provide adapted, specifically tailored driver versions equipped with special functions. However, they more or less stop developing them towards the end of the product shelf life. How is the risk-benefit ratio to be weighted: on the one hand, possibly to expect functional losses through generic driver updates, on the other, to get more modern functionalities for advanced operating systems on older devices through more contemporary drivers (- both Intel source based)?

So, please do not give any hints about just trying out what happens if I follow the update recommendation of the "professional" driver update application. I have already learned that this can lead to fatal system states, because these "professional" services - may be - anchor unsuitable drivers in a running system. On the other hand, I can't do much with hints that recommend simply leaving the systems with the old driver versions/statuses as they are, especially if they were already going well - because I just want to consciously gain the benefit that advanced drivers offer.
Does anyone know of sources of information where one can find out more about this specific topics? The very best would of course be an idea on an Intel source, where I can pick them out by hand and download these legacy core component drivers up to newest state. If so, then I expect that it will be technically in-depth possibly down to chip detection. But if that download access will only be possible for insiders or technical employees of development units, that in turn could mean a 1: 0 for the "professional" driver updater application, which I would then have to submit to.

Thanks in advance for an enlightening clarification from a real professional.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Windows 10 has inbox support for the 5 Series chipset; you will not need to install driver packages except for (1) Intel RST (i.e., support for SATA RAID), and (2) Intel SMBus (driver should come with software that will use it). Intel processor graphics simply isn't supported; an add-in graphics card is absolutely required.

Using Windows 8.1 is, IMHO, a waste of time. While this won't be discontinued for a while yet, there is no real ongoing support. Stick with Windows 10. Remember that you can use Windows 7 and Windows 8.x license keys with Windows 10. Note the instructions here: How to Download Windows 10 for Free.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. You are right; do not use those driver update tools; they are complete rubbish and most install trojans, spyware, etc. onto your system.

0 Kudos
Hints_CatchUp
Novice

It's about enabling social purposes where the blanket - no matter where you pull it - will always be too short. Installing Windows 10 on these older boards and then placing these devices in the hands of mostly inexperienced people could lead to frustration with computer technology. Just as an example, when network drivers are really no longer compatible with Windows 10 and connections break off after a while. For these people it's about things like being able to do schoolwork on a safe and functional device. In Germany, half a million devices are missing in schools alone. This was clearly revealed by the corona crisis. Some parents copy tasks on paper and the students pass it on to one another.

Unfortunately, we already experienced the argument about the discontinued further development with the discontinuation of Windows 10 Mobile and had to swallow it. I can classify what you mean by that very well. Since I want to do my thing perfectly, however, in order to then hand over the best possible functioning laptops to family households with children for an affordable price each, I posted this question.

There are some initiatives in Germany that run Linux on devices donated by companies. When the teaching staff gives out their school assignments and documents Windows-based, then inexperienced young students, who even take their first steps with digital technology beyond the smartphone, go from the bad to worse with a donated Linux computer, aren't they.
I am very grateful to you as you were the first to reply to my first question asked since I recently registered here on this community portal, thank you very much. And I will also be happy to read other answers.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I am not sure what you are expecting me to say.
I certainly agree that the Linux route is the bigger disaster.
As for Windows 8.1, this will be problematic for machines this old if the drivers necessary are not provided inbox. Intel has chosen to not provide any support any products that are more than 6 years old - and sometimes less if the product is discontinued sooner. Worse, they have stopped hosting the software packages that support this older hardware.
I agree that there are issues with Windows 10. Yes, drivers provided inbox get EOLed. Yes, Intel often only supports 3 updates back, making use of MS' stable image program and education support problematic too.
Bottom line, I am not sure what the correct answer it.
...S
0 Kudos
Hints_CatchUp
Novice

"Worse, they have stopped hosting the software packages that support this older hardware."

That explains why there is nothing left to be found here. But I am surprised that Intel is applying such a restrictive support policy. So far, one is more used to something like this from a manufacturer like DELL, f.i.
Since I was able to take something away from the answers, I'm becoming aware that there is little point here in trying to swim against the stream. The education market is geared towards cheap fresh new edutainment gadgets.

Because deeper information as it seems cannot be achieved, this old topic will also find its peace. 

0 Kudos
Uriy26
Beginner
Good evening, thanks for the answer, for me this is also a very sore subject !!!!
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos