Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

does windows7 32bit work with core i7 9 series and

idata
Employee

hi . does windows7 32bit work with core i7 9 series ?

and can i use dual channel instead triple channel on core i7 series ?

please help me as soon as possible.

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Win 7 32 bit does work on i7 900 series but I dont know why someone would want this. Can't help you with the dual channel question, sorry.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mr. Gifford is correct of course, and is actually giving the more realistic size of 3.3 GB, rather than the theoretcial 4GB spec of a 32 bit OS's address space.

I was wondering why a couple friends pre-built PCs from the big names were coming with 3.5 GB of RAM installed with a 32 bit OS. Those companies know better.

Frankly, on my Win 7 64bit/Core i7 system with 6GB of RAM, booted up and running a browser and a couple small programs, I am not seeing even 2GB being used.

I assume you would not believe what Win 7 64bit on a LGA775 CPU system with 4GB of RAM installed uses in the same situation (698 MB.)

You can do fine with 4GB as long as you're not using memory intensive programs or working with huge files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Completly or near enough completly agree with parsec and Rob! can treally imagine why Rberles says :

"

Windows 7 32 bit is supported on all current hardware.

Windows 7 requires a lot of RAM to run well. For a basic Office PC running 7 you need 6GB of ram. To calculate the amount of ram you need for 7 you take 2G for operating space ~ 2Gb for the OS and add the space for all your daily operating programs. So for a office PC running Scheiße Asführbare Programm (SAP) and office 2007 you need 6Gb.

If you run office 2003 and WOW as your primary apps like I do on my home personal PC you need at least 16GB closer to 24GB (wish 4GB & 8 GB FB-DIMMS weren't so overpriced so I would love to upgrade to 32:).

Due to the RAM requirements of 7 the 32bit version makes no sense what so ever. If you're running less then 6 GB, stick with XP 32 Bit. Otherwise use 7 64-bit. If you purchased an OEM 7 32 bit the COA will work with 64 bit DVD which you can download from Microsoft's partners like Digital River. Unlike Vista 64 And XP 64 M$ has fixed almost all compatibility issues with 32 bit applications and they offer a "wedge" system to build your own compatibility fixers if something is not yet supported."

Specially : "Windows 7 requires a lot of RAM to run well." That is just completle and utter nonsense... not trying to be funny but you could run win 7 on 1 Gb, and then it is struggling, but if you have 3/4 GB of RAM you are fine and probably that type of setup is fine for most people including gamers, you could only really need 16GB of RAM if you are doing 20 different things at once (as in various games, rendering and video decoding etc) or have various VM machines etc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You said it Captain, many people boot up just fine with 1GB of RAM while they are diagnosing equipment or overclocking issues.

I imagine Rberles statement includes running things quickly and efficiently, but to say Win 7 needs all that memory is not accurate, IMO.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows 7 32 bit is supported on all current hardware.

Windows 7 requires a lot of RAM to run well. For a basic Office PC running 7 you need 6GB of ram. To calculate the amount of ram you need for 7 you take 2G for operating space ~ 2Gb for the OS and add the space for all your daily operating programs. So for a office PC running Scheiße Asführbare Programm (SAP) and office 2007 you need 6Gb.

If you run office 2003 and WOW as your primary apps like I do on my home personal PC you need at least 16GB closer to 24GB (wish 4GB & 8 GB FB-DIMMS weren't so overpriced so I would love to upgrade to 32:).

Due to the RAM requirements of 7 the 32bit version makes no sense what so ever. If you're running less then 6 GB, stick with XP 32 Bit. Otherwise use 7 64-bit. If you purchased an OEM 7 32 bit the COA will work with 64 bit DVD which you can download from Microsoft's partners like Digital River. Unlike Vista 64 And XP 64 M$ has fixed almost all compatibility issues with 32 bit applications and they offer a "wedge" system to build your own compatibility fixers if something is not yet supported.

Regarding memory questions:

If you have a Socket 1366 (I7 900s, I7 Extremes) the CPU will support triple channel as well as dual channel, most BIOSs refer to dual channel mode on the 1366 as lock step mode. NOT ALL BIOSs SUPPORT DUAL CHANNEL. For some RAM (especially over-clocker specific like PC3 20,000) will perform faster in dual channel then triple as many system boards force a downgrade in the clock when in triple channel mode.

Socket 1156 CPUs (I3, I5, I7 500s -800s) support dual channel only.

Hopefully this helps.
0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Windows 7 32 bit can address only 3.3 Gigs of ram if you are going to run other programs that require more go with the 64 bit it can use 24 gigs easily .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If anyone would like to see other opinions regarding the amount of memory required for their PC, I found some useful (IMO) information on one memory manufactures website. I'm sure other manufactures offer similar information, but I believe the suggestions and tutorials found here are very good, reasonable, and objective given this is a manufactures website.

http://www.kingston.com/tools/default.asp http://www.kingston.com/tools/default.asp

I would recommend the Memory Guide and Assessor links for more information on this thread's topic.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation wtih this manufacture beyond owning some of their products.)

0 Kudos