Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

e5-2696 v4 vs e5-2699 v4

DGome7
Beginner

I bought online a xeon e5-2699 v4 chip, but got in the mail a xeon e5-2696 v4.

Before going to the trouble of returning it, I was trying to compare the specs on Intel's website and I simply can't find them.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e5-processors/e5-2696-v4.html?wapkw=2696+v4 Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2696 v4

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/compare-products.html?productIds=96899,91288,93806,93791 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/compare-products.html?productIds=96899,91288,93806,93791

Should I return it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

delciogomes: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In regard to your inquiry, I will do further research in order to try to find out why the specifications of that processor are not showing in our web site, and also to check if they will be available soon. As soon as I get additional details, I will post all the information on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto R

View solution in original post

19 Replies
idata
Employee

delciogomes: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

In regard to your inquiry, I will do further research in order to try to find out why the specifications of that processor are not showing in our web site, and also to check if they will be available soon. As soon as I get additional details, I will post all the information on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto R

DGome7
Beginner

Hey Alberto,

Thanks for responding so promptly. Looking forward to know more about the website mystery!

Mean while, I contact the seller and he told me that the chips are the same, 2696 is supposed to be in Asia market and 2699 America/Europe. Also. seller is providing me with 4 years warrant. So I will give it a try this weekend to test it out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi delciogomes: Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

I just received some updates from the research we were doing on this processor, and the thing is that this is a custom processor with certain terms and conditions (TRAY), that is why the specifications are not available in our web site. Please see our products on roadmap offerings for generally available parts:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/public-roadmap-article.html Intel® Roadmap for Public Products

If the seller is giving you 4 years of warranty that is great, and yes, the Intel® E5-2699 v4 has basically the same specifications.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JYao7
Beginner

Dear Albert

So glad to see you here

And i just got a piece 2696v4

And i wondering if there any driver for this CPU?

Thanks for your kind help!

Warmest Regards

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jerry's: You are very welcome. In regard to your inquiry, I looked in our web site for drivers for this processor and nothing is showing up:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

But just to let you know, the drivers will also depend of the motherboard being used, most of the drivers are provided by the manufacturer of it.

Regards,

Alberto R

JYao7
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

I just download the driver from intel

And also i have some error channel in my device management

Would you mind helping to tell me is it normal or real error?

Thanks for your kind help!

Have a nice day

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jerry's: You are welcome. In regard to your question, there should not be any error messages showing on device manager.

We always recommend to follow an specific order at the moment to install the drivers: chipset, management engine, graphics, USB, LAN, audio.

What is the model of the motherboard?

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
JYao7
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

I use the ASUS x99 MOTHERBOARD(ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10)

And also i using the Non-ecc DDR 4 2400 memory 64G

Is there any bios or driver can support this?

I just thinking how to install the driver for this motherboard and CPU

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jerry's: Thank you very much for providing that information. On the link below you will find all the drivers needed for your PC, including the BIOS files. Please choose the Windows version that you are using in order to find them:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_Download/

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JYao7
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

Actually i just found the Asus tech-support

But they just said they can't support this CPU which named 2696v4 , Actually i can use this cpu, but the bios just found the 18 Core ,should be 22 Core

So i just wondering is it possiable to install the Microcode in X99 or someother way can let the x99 support the Xeon 2696 v4 fully

And is there any driver or some information can download to let this cpu work well?

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jerry's: Thank you very much for letting us know those updates. In regard to your question about the BIOS microcode, since the BIOS is directly related to the board that is an option you will need to check with ASUS directly or with the manufacturer of the BIOS to confirm if it is possible to install a new microcode.

About your second question, all the drivers for this platform are provided by the manufacturer of the board, the drivers given by ASUS incorporate all the features needed for this combination of processor and board to work properly. We are sorry to hear they told you the board does not fully support the processor.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
NCohe1
Beginner

hi Jerry,

Do you also have the E5-2696v4? Is it working on your MB (according to the spec it supports E5-2695, E5-2697, E5-2699 but not E5-2696)?

I have the CPU but I can't find a MB for it and I read that some MBs did some damage to the CPU so I don't know what to buy..

Can you also mansion which memory you have to that setup?

thanks!

0 Kudos
JYao8
Beginner

Dear NiMiZ

Yes ecc 2133 or 2400 will be better

I just using non ecc likes like got some issue when i using large memory

So i think it's MB bios or OS issue

It's difficult to figure out cause too many thing is out of control ,

So i just try to use different OS to see any improve LOL...!

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
JYao7
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

Thanks for your clearly explain for my question

And for :In regard to your question about the BIOS microcode, since the BIOS is directly related to the board that is an option you will need to check with ASUS directly or with the manufacturer of the BIOS to confirm if it is possible to install a new microcode.

If the asus just request the microcode to your side

Is it possiable your side will provide the 2696v4 microcode to Asus?

I just want them to work with this case

Thanks for your kind help!!!

Have a nice day!

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I rather doubt that Asus is not receiving the microcode; it is more a matter of them not updating the BIOS for this board to have the update (since it is not on the list of "officially-supported" processors for this board). All is not lost; I found a post that presents information about how you can have the microcode loaded as part of Windows initialization: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-update-microcode-from-windows.787152/ [How to] Update microcode from Windows. | NotebookReview.

Hope this help,

...S

JYao7
Beginner

Dear Scott

It very helpful for me!

Thanks for your kind help!!!

Have a nice day!

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jerry's: You are very welcome. The information posted previously explains correctly how the BIOS update works in terms of the microcode of it. Hopefully ASUS will release a BIOS version that will make the processor fully compatible with your board.

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the details provided above.

Regards,

Alberto R

JYao7
Beginner

Dear Alberto R

Thanks for your all kind help!

Good job you done for me

Have a nice day!

WR

Jerry

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi: Jerry's: You are very welcome. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos