Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

firmware TPM

Slisansn
Beginner

Hi! Currently I have on my desktop PC an i5-6500 CPU. I guess there should be firmware TPM available in CPU which could be activated in BIOS. The mainboard has TPM 1.2 which is activated and there is FDE with Bitlocker. The question is which TPM is better to use to achieve higher level of security - discrete or firmware TPM located in CPU? If I activate firmware TPM should I decript disk first and disable discrete TPM? Or just delete bde protectors and then add new protector with CPU firmware tpm?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, PTT can only be used in systems that are NOT outfitted with a hardware TPM. If your system has a hardware TPM, the BIOS is not going to support PTT.

Sorry,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, PTT can only be used in systems that are NOT outfitted with a hardware TPM. If your system has a hardware TPM, the BIOS is not going to support PTT.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Slisansn
Beginner

Thanks. Anyway I managed to update discrete TPM to version 2.0 with the help of HP TPM Configuration Utility version. The only issue was that ssd had to be decrypted first and after update encrypted again, but that was fast. And installer did not allow to do the upgrade with SGX turned on in BIOS, so had to disable it to make it happen.

0 Kudos