Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

games stops fps drop / stutter as much when i turn off core 15 on 6900k why is that?

SebastienM
Beginner

System Specs, 
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Product RAMPAGE V EXTREME
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

RTX 2080 TI

So I have this issue with my 15th Core / Thread so when this core gets to 100% no matter what game ill get a frame time spike fps drop. so temporarily fixed it by using CPU affinity and manually turning it off. once I turn it off it seems like it spreads evenly and no longer reaches 100% and i no longer get stutters why is that how do I fix that permanently ? am i bottlenecked?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @SebastienM

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Could you please provide the following information to check this further?

1- Did this setup work fine before? Was there any recent hardware or software change (Windows update, driver update, software update)?

2- Have you checked the temperature when running the games? Have you ensured that the system (including the CPU) is properly cooled? What is the model of the cooling solution and PC case?

3- Please test the processor with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attached the report to this thread. Before running the test, make sure that all cores are enabled and that you have loaded BIOS defaults.

You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

4- You may also test the processor with the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). On the left pane menu, click on "Stress Test", check "CPU Stress Test" and click on "Start Testing".

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

5- We understand that this is occurring only while gaming? Is this correct? Could you please provide some examples of the games experiencing this issue?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SebastienM

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SebastienM

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos