Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

hard crashed with blue screen and CPU EIST(Speed Step) enabled in BIOS

btimofte
New Contributor I

Dear all

I have windows 10 2004 , core i9 9900k and Gigabyte Z390 UD mainboard

I observed if i leave my computer alone  for a few minutes on low cpu load i will get a blue screen and crash

Details:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME:  GenuineIntel.sys

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x124_0_GenuineIntel_BANK0_MSCOD0080_MCACOD0400_AR_PCC_UC_IMAGE_GenuineIntel.sys

OS_VERSION:  10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR:  vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {9dc4f352-e3f2-6dfb-5a14-91b9377af595}

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------
Now as a fix  i just disabled CPU EIST in BIOS and i have no more crash but my CPU runs at Full Frequency 
all the time and consumes a low of Watts

Any Help ?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hello

I dont get the crash anymore with this new mainboard , but the power and voltages and Max Turbo Look different on this board

As i suspected the GigaByte maiboard was defective(brand new)

Best regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors is a feature that also depends on proper functionality and management from the operating system (OS) and BIOS. Have you checked further with Microsoft® support regarding the details of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error code? Or have you checked with your motherboard manufacturer (OEM) to discard BIOS issues? Please provide details:

2- Did your system work properly before with this processor? If so, for how long it did? Was there any hardware, BIOS, or software change before the issue started?

3- By any chance have you tested this processor on another motherboard or have you tested your motherboard with another compatible Processor? If yes, please provide details and include model(s) information:

4- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

5- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

5.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

5.2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

5.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, sue the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hello

For issues

1. I made a report to GiGabyte board manufacturer but no answer since 5 days

2. the system is brand new and issue started after a  1 -2 hours of powering the system

3. i have not tested the CPU with another main board

PS: now i found another trick which works and allows windows to reduce cpu freq when Idle. I left CPU EIST enabled in BIOS but disabled CPU C States in Bios

Also due to privacy reasons please delete these logs from my post after you downloaded them

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and check the reports provided. Also, after downloading the logs from the thread, as per you request, we have removed the logs from your post.

Best regards,

andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

We have checked this behavior further and we also noticed that the system is up to date (including BIOS version). Since Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors depends on BIOS and operating system (OS) mainly, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the operating system just to rule out an underline OS issue and please let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hello

Thanx for answer

I tried this already

What i also tried :

- fresh reinstall OS(from USB drive -> still got crash)

- reinstall all mainboard drivers

- change video cards

- change sound card

- disable XMP in BIOS and load default values

- check temperatures --> all normal

- ran FutureMark , XTU and Cinebench stress tests -> no error

What i am going to try tomorrow is to change my cheap 720W 40  euro Argus Power Source with a new Corsair one RMX series at 150 euros (probably wont do much)

I suspect that the issue is that Gigabyte sold me a defective main board due to 2 reasons

1. they have 2 versions of my  mainboard z390 ud on their website , 1.0 and 1.1

2. i have version 1.0 and their latest BIOS tried to patch some Intel CPU voltages

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10#kf

Latest BIOS which i have

F10e
6‎.62 MB
2‎020/04/28

1. Enhance RAID AIC compatibility
  2. Fix CPU Vcore and power behavior
  3. Workaround beta BIOS to improve Kingston DDR4-2666 stability concern on some specific memory chip suppliers
  4. Fix language switch option issue

It looks like GigaByte instead of recalling defective mainboards tried to hack it via some BIOS patch . Unnaceptable!

There are multiple user on reddit and other websites who have SAME issue as i have with this main-board and they fixed it by changing it

Example one user who seemed to solved it by disabling Multi Core Enhancement and and changing Load Line Calibration to Turbo(i didnt tried this)

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/5632/bsod-gigabyte-z390-aorus-9900k

Please consider contacting GigaByte and telling them to stop selling this defective mainboard who has the potential to ruin brand new core i9 9900k CPUS

What seemed to help that i got much less crashes

- disable EIST in BIOS or

-disable CPU C states in BIOS

or

- set Multicore Enhancements to OFF in BIOS instead to Auto or On

But  unfortunately didnt help to solve it completely

If tomorrow after i change the power source i still get the error then either the mainboard or the Intel CPU is defective

If this is the case i will change the mainboard and if then i still get the error then it remains the Intel CPU ... In this case i will switch to AMD Ryzen and tell my friends to avoid Intel CPU in future :(sorry but this costed me 1 week of debugging and almost 2000 euro beacuse i chose an intel based System

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

Thank you for your response and for all the extensive troubleshooting and efforts you have tried so far, we also appreciate your feedback.

If the issue still persists even after testing another power supply unit (PSU) and/or another motherboard, we can assist you to check the warranty status of your processor and if it is defective we will glad to assist you to review replacement options of your processor (if applicable).

Please do not hesitate to contact us back to share any outcome of additional tests you perform or in case you have additional concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hello

I hope the PSU change was the issue . I only have this PSU running now since yesterday so its too short to see if it crashes or not .

The only difference compared to the old PSU was that now i populated all pins 8+4 on my mainboard for CPU voltage (i think previous PSU had left 4 pins unconnected but a lot of people say even with 8 pins 250W can be supplied)

I also applied power to the GPU via 2 separate cables instead of a single cable like with the old PSU

I played in BIOS with cpu c states on off , EIST on off , etc to see if i change them something happens but i haven't observed anything suspicious yet

Lets wait and see and thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Got my first crash .

Next month i will replace my suspected faulty mainboard Gygabyte z390UD  with an asus prime z390A mainboard

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hi all

I changed the mainboard and now i am on the ASUS Prime Z390 -A

I will test if i get the crash or not

Now i have another issue , in XTU after a few mins in a benchmark i get the messaged Power Throttle and TDP goes from around 105W to a fixed 95W and turbo boost frequency drops from 4.7 to around 4.6 Ghz....

If i run AVX stress test i get Current Throttle as reported by XTU

Is this board also defective -_-'' ?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

Thank you for your responses.

We understand that the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issue persisted after testing another power supply unit and now you are testing with another motherboard. Please let us know if this BSOD error is solved with this new motherboard.

Regarding the messaged "Power Throttle", since this seems to be a different behavior/issue, we kindly recommend you to create a new thread to isolate issues and for more accurate tracking.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

Hello

I dont get the crash anymore with this new mainboard , but the power and voltages and Max Turbo Look different on this board

As i suspected the GigaByte maiboard was defective(brand new)

Best regards

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello btimofte

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the BSOD error is no longer happening after using another motherboard.

In this case, since the original issue (BSOD when enabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology) is now fixed, we will proceed to close this thread and mark it as solved. It was a pleasure to assist you. If you need further assistance in the future please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Note:

For the additional inquiries and behavior regarding power, voltage, and Max Turbo Boost frequencies, we recommend creating a new thread to isolate different questions and/or issues.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos