Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

hello intel I have a question I have a laptop with an Intel core i5-7200u 2.5GHz with turbo boost up to 3.1 GHz but when I go to look at the program of windows it says until I have only 2.5 ghz and not 3.1 with turbo boost hopefully you can help me

DSmit73
Novice

18 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSmit73, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

What is the model of the computer?

Was the Intel® Turbo Boost feature working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Did you restore the BIOS settings to defaults?

Have you tried a BIOS update?

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is a way to automatically run the processor core faster than the marked frequency. The processor must be working in the power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power (TDP). This results in increased performance of both single and multithreaded applications. There is no need to install any software or application to support Intel® Turbo Boost Technology:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95443/intel-core-i5-7200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz.html

In the following link you will find further details about the feature:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007359/processors/intel-core-processors.html

In this case, we can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, this application is normally used for desktop PC's but we can still try to run it. It will do an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means that it is working fine. At the end, you will be able to see a report that shows the expected and detected frequencies, by checking that information we can confirm if the Intel® Turbo Boost is working properly. To see the report select "File" and then choose "View Results File":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

if it is possible, please attach that file to the thread so we can verify the results, choose"reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner to do that.

Just to let you know, the manufacturer of the computer has the option to do any kind customizations on their products, they can enable and disable the settings in the BIOS as well as the features and functions of the system. You can typically enable or disable Intel® Turbo Boost through a switch in the BIOS, please check directly with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to make sure that the feature is enabled/activated by them to work with your platform.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
hello Albert R I have no idea if the turbo boost worked earlier if I do the windows button + G I enter the game menu where I see how much GHz the processor has and that is 2.51 GHz but I think this would be with the boost 3.1 I have not done anything in the BIOS and I also do not know how to open it on an acer aspire a315-51-59 hopefully you can help with this I use windows 10 but my laptop has no cdrom input maybe you can explain how I open the bios on the acer apspire laptop a315
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSmit73, thank you very much for letting us know that information.

The Intel® Turbo Boost kicks in automatically depending on the load of work, if while running the game the processor detects that to activate the feature is not needed, then it will not use it and that might be the reason why you keep seeing 2.51 GHz of frequency.

Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify if the feature is actually working or not and please attach the report to this thread.

In reference to the BIOS configuration, in order to gather those details, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with ACER, they have all the information related to their BIOS including the instructions of how to access it and update it:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I looked in Acer's web site but I am not sure what would be the proper BIOS version for your system so it will be better to check directly with them:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7210?b=1

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Hey Alberto i have run the program and or said this [Afbeelding] I dont know if this is good or not Dean.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSmit73, Thank you very much for your response.

For some reason, I cannot open the image that you sent us, could you please attach it again along with the report of the Intel® PDT?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSmit73, Thank you very much for your response.

To see the report of the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, once the test is completed, select the option "File" at the top left corner of the application and then choose "View Results File". You will see the report as a "Notepad" file, save it to your computer and then attach it by choosing "Reply" and select the "Clip" icon on the lower left corner in the thread. You can do the same procedure with the image once you save it in your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Hello Alberto R thanks for the information here is the file from the processor Diagnostics Tool i hope this is the good one Dean Smit.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSmit73, You are very welcome, thank you very much.

For some reason, I do not see the report or the picture, it seems like the file did not get attached to the thread properly. Here you have the link to the thread for you to confirm this information:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004NKF3e/hello-intel-i-have-a-question-i-have-a-laptop-with-an-intel-core-i57200u-25ghz-with-turbo-boost-up-to-31-ghz-but-when-i-go-to-look-at-the-program-of-windows-it-says-until-i-have-only-25-ghz-and-not-31-with-turbo-boost-hopefully-you-can-help-me

If you have the chance, please try to send them again so we can further assist you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Helo Alberto i have aa idea i copy paste all words in the file in this email i hope this helps --- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.1.33 --- IPDT64 - Start Time: 28-6-2019 07:50:28 CPU1 Genuine Intel CPU Test Module Version: 1.0.16.64b.W Start Time: Fri Jun 28 07:50:28 2019 Test Result - PASS Expected: GenuineIntel Detected: GenuineIntel End Time: Fri Jun 28 07:50:28 2019 Total Time: seconds: 0
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSmit73, Thank you very much for all your efforts in trying to provide the report.

The thing is that the file contains more details, it contains more information, what you just posted is the beginning of the report and in order to confirm if the Intel® Turbo Boost is working, we need the complete file where it also shows the temperatures that the processor is reaching.

If you prefer, I can always send you an email for you to reply to it with that report so we can further assist you.

Was the Intel® PDT test successfully completed?

Did the processor pass the test?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Helo albert R i am trying again to put the file in the email if that wont work i can also put it in one drive and send you the link
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSmit73, thank you very much for your response.

Sure, no problem, you can always try to send the report again or, as you mentioned, we can also use one drive for you to send us the link.

Just to let you know, I can also send you a direct email to your email account for you to attach the file and reply back to it.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Hallo Alberto its Oke to send me an email where i can attach the file met vriendelijke groet Dean
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSmit73, thank you for providing those updates.

Sure, I will send you an email directly to your email account, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

DSmit73, thank you very much for replying to the email.

Perfect, we received the complete report this time and based on the information showing in there we can confirm that the Intel® Turbo Boost is working properly.

Please verify the part in the report where it says "CPU Frequency Test", you will see that the Expected Base CPU Frequency is 2.50GHz and the Detected CPU Frequency is actually 3.01686GHZ, that is because of the Intel® Turbo Boost feature, it is working as it should:

"CPU Frequency Test"

Expected CPU Frequency: 2.50

Detected CPU Frequency: 3.01686

Besides that, the Intel® processor passed the test in every category, including temperature, that means that the unit is working fine and there are no problems with it.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DSmit73
Novice
Hello Alberto R i thank you so much for helping true this you helped me very good thank you have a nice Day .Dean Smit
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DSmit73, you are very welcome, I really appreciate your feedback.

We are glad to hear that the information provided previously was useful and helpful for you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos