Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

how can I find out what processor will fit my laptop for upgrade, currently I have a intel i3 3120m 2.5ghz in it but was looking to upgrade and all Toshiba shows for my motherboard is that its a Toshiba portable pc under mainboard.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

You need to contact toshiba and ask them what processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Beginner

ill give them another call in the morning, the last time I spoke to them they told me that they didn't guarantee that it would work since they don't do compatibility testing and that I should contact intel to see what other processors were comparable to the one I had. they couldn't even tell me what motherboard was in my laptop so I don't have much confidence in there answers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Rubbish... Toshiba knows what processors are supported by their bios.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005682/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I figured that, that's y I said ill give them a call about it because the last time I inquired was when my laptop had barely been released so they probably didn't have much answers at that time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Now, for a personal opinion - your processor is already 7 years old:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71465/intel-core-i3-3120m-processor-3m-cache-2-...

I do not see much advantage in doing a processor upgrade. It would be wiser for you to invest in a new(er) system where you have support.

Just my opinion...

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

By the way, your processor may be soldered to the motherboard. If it is, you cannot upgrade.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Wow, I had no idea they would put that old of a processor in a new computer, my laptop is not even a yr and a half yet and the processor is older thank u, I think I will be looking into a new laptop instead, I can always transfer my hard drive and stuff over to a new one

0 Kudos