Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

how can I find out what processor will fit my laptop for upgrade, currently I have a intel i3 3120m 2.5ghz in it but was looking to upgrade and all Toshiba shows for my motherboard is that its a Toshiba portable pc under mainboard.

cvasq4
Beginner

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact toshiba and ask them what processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those.

Doc

0 Kudos
cvasq4
Beginner

ill give them another call in the morning, the last time I spoke to them they told me that they didn't guarantee that it would work since they don't do compatibility testing and that I should contact intel to see what other processors were comparable to the one I had. they couldn't even tell me what motherboard was in my laptop so I don't have much confidence in there answers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Rubbish... Toshiba knows what processors are supported by their bios.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005682/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos
cvasq4
Beginner

I figured that, that's y I said ill give them a call about it because the last time I inquired was when my laptop had barely been released so they probably didn't have much answers at that time.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Now, for a personal opinion - your processor is already 7 years old:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71465/intel-core-i3-3120m-processor-3m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

I do not see much advantage in doing a processor upgrade. It would be wiser for you to invest in a new(er) system where you have support.

Just my opinion...

Doc

0 Kudos
cvasq4
Beginner

Wow, I had no idea they would put that old of a processor in a new computer, my laptop is not even a yr and a half yet and the processor is older thank u, I think I will be looking into a new laptop instead, I can always transfer my hard drive and stuff over to a new one

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

By the way, your processor may be soldered to the motherboard. If it is, you cannot upgrade.

Doc

0 Kudos