Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

how can I update processors and drivers on my 2010 built computer?

GemmaB
Beginner

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 3059 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. TCIBX10H.86A.0037.2010.0614.1712, 6/14/2010

I'm told this is no longer supported, so I was sent here to ask if anyone can help me with some idea of how to upgrade my video drivers so I can play games ... I've upgraded my computer to Windows 10 this year from Windows 7 and have no idea what to do.  

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your 2010 processor is not supported:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/46473/intel-core-i3-540-processor-4m-cache-3-06-ghz.html

This also means your graphics, unless you have an nvidia or amd card, are not supported, and that you are using the Microsoft generic graphics driver (which lacks features and performance).  There is no updated driver from Intel for these graphics.

You listed the bios string for a 2009 DH55TC board, which is long since discontinued and not supported.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/42408/intel-desktop-board-dh55tc.html

Any drivers you need are provided by windows 10, probably.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Spelling out the important part of this message, unless you are going to purchase a graphics card for this computer, it is not going to be useable for any kind of serious gaming. [Aside: IMHO, it is not much use for gaming regardless, but let's push on.] Now, finding a graphics card that will work on this old board is difficult. I have had zero luck getting AMD graphics cards to work with the Intel 5 Series Desktop Boards. I have been successful with NVIDIA cards, however; I have a GTX 750 ti that I successfully used on a DP55KG board.

It is also important, before attempting to add this graphics card, that you upgrade your BIOS. You have BIOS 37 install but the latest is BIOS 48. We can talk about this upgrade process separately later.

It will likely be important to upgrade the memory on this PC. You are going to want at least 8GB of memory and more likely 16GB. Now, the maximum supported size for a DIMM in this board is 4GB. This means four 4GB DIMMs to get to 16GB.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GemmaB

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful to clarify your concerns. 

Also, we would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i3-540 Processor and Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help in case you have additional inquiries. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html  

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the following links:

Also, please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards, 

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos