Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

how to reduce cpu temp

MUsam5
Beginner

hi, i am using i7 7700hq HP omen 15 with 1050ti. the cpu runs very hot at 100 percent with temp of 95 to 97 degree celcius. i have read alot about temp cooling. (changed the thermal paste). should i disable turbo boost or undervolt it. 

with undervolting there is one problem. intel XTU isnt supported (although the software works) and the watchdog service isnt supported too. i am a noob at this undervolting thing although i have researched quite a bit i still think im a beginner in this. what should i do?????????

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do NOT use XTU on your processor. make sure you have adequate ventilation. Contact HP for support with this issue.

Doc

0 Kudos
MUsam5
Beginner

how the people with same processor are undervolting using XTU, bcaz when i turned it on for the first time it said that intel watchdog not supported.

0 Kudos
MUsam5
Beginner

how the people with same processor are undervolting using XTU, bcaz when i turned it on for the first time it said that intel watchdog not supported.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your laptop has been around for three years. There are two issues that can develop in that time,

1. Dust can build up in the fans, blowers, heatsinks, tunnels, etc. and impede the flow of air that is necessary to cool the system's CPU, GPU, PCH, etc. components. A good cleaning using a can of compressed air can do wonders for temperatures.
  2. Over time, the Thermal Interface Material (TIM, a.k.a. heatsink paste) between the processor's heat spreader and the heatsink (or heat pipes) can dry out. When it dries out, its ability to efficiently transfer heat diminishes. Replacing this TIM can make a big difference in the cooling of the CPU.

Disabling Turbo or undervolting the CPU are all measures that the expert can think about. For someone in your shoes, it is difficult to contemplate doing anything beyond cleaning and perhaps a TIM change. If you do something wrong using these technologies, poof!

XTU is only designed to support the unlocked K Desktop processors. It is not designed to be used with Mobile/Embedded processors like yours and problems like you have encountered are the result.

...S

0 Kudos