Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i-6500k CPU and Samsung SSD 850 Evo ?

idata
Employee

Hello, Today I've got an update suggestion from my SSD ( Samsung 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device ) user interface. So I installed it. As they asked, I had to turn the Rapid Mode off, restart, then install the update. But after that, I can't use the Rapid mode anymore. I turn it on, restart, and it's off again.

In the compatibility menu, it says that my CPU needs an update too in order to use the full SSD capacities. It even gives me a link, that I followed. ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/-RST https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/-RST )

But there I'm not sure what link to use.

The RAID driver version 14.8.14.1063 ?

or the driver 15.5.0.1051 with "Optane memory support" ?

Witch one will work well with my SSD ? I really don't know mutch Thanks by advance !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello burg,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, I'm sure the software you need is the SetupRST.exe file, if you don't have installed an Intel® Optane™ memory you will not need the Optane software.

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

idata
Employee

Thank you, Ivan U.

I wasn't sure about with version to pick. However I can find a SetupRST.exe in both 14.8.14.1063 and 15.5.0.1051. I'm tempted to pick the older one that doesn't mention Optane Memory, but there is a little panel telling there is a new version, witch is the 15.5.0.1051. It is a bit confusing.

So I'll pick the RST file from 15.5.0.1051, and report back on what happend.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I installed the 15.5.0.1051 RST file... and things got really weird. Really. After the requested restart, it oddly asked to restard a second time. After that, it went completely crazy, and I saw plenty of txt files open by themselves, Discord connected me to an audio channel and I heard "who are you ?" ( no kidding, I thought I was hijacked by someone ), and when I moved my mouse it seems even more stuff happend. I quickly made a hard reset. I thought of a nasty virus.

But apparently it isn't, according to Malwarebytes and Avast free editions...

The adventure continues, I'm going to try to turn the SSD Rapid mode now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So after the requested restart, the Rapid mode is still turned off.

I thought this was possibly an issue with my Intel CPU, but it may be something else then.

I'll investigate and report here anyways, it may help someone in the same situation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I noticed that the firmware of my SSD wasn't up to date, and updated it. Now everything should be, but the rapid mode stills turns itself off.

But in the process of finding a solution, I only found out more about how useless this mode is. It's less of a loss.

I'll still investigate, and report if I find a solution, even if it's to let it off at the end.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello burg,

Yes, you're right, this is not an issue related with the processor, what is the motherboard model you have? It is possible that based on the chipset model installed on your motherboard you will need a previous IRST version.

Please let me know and if you find something else or a solution it will be very much appreciated if you post it here.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos