Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i12700k Intel XTU advanced settings greyed out?

Blueridge
Beginner

Good evening everyone. I hope you are all having a good time. I'd like some help figuring out why I cant access any advanced options in the Intel XTU program.

the issue is that everything is greyed out and I'd like to use this program for optimizing my CPU.

I'm using a msi z690i unify motherboard with my 12700K cpu. 

If all else fails and nothing can be done ill just simply uninstall the program and use the bios

please help because this program seems very promising and would love to take advantage of it.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and hopefully answer the question to why i cant adjust these advanced settings. I,m assuming it must be casued by my own incompetence lol. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

The second screenshot shows you have bios version 1.0... I would start by updating the BIOS to the latest (I see latest is 1.3) and checking if it is needed to change anything in the BIOS to allow OC tools to overclock the cpu...

In windows, confirm you also have a power plan set to high performance or something like that...

And of course, make sure you have latest version of xtu...

0 Kudos
Blueridge
Beginner

I appreciate the help. I can confirm that the bios version i was running was 1.20 at the time of the screen shot. sadly even msi is confused about this one. I'm thinking of opening a ticket with Microsoft to see if they can "help" lol 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Blueridge,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please try the following recommendations:

Then, proceed to download and install Intel® XTU https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/29183/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html?wapkw=xtu

As recommended by megan3000, please update the BIOS to the latest version (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z690I-UNIFY/support

In order to get full access to CPU and memory controls, your motherboard BIOS should support altering of CPU and/or RAM values (usually applicable for Z- or X- chipsets). To get more information about supported controls, contact your MSI.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Blueridge
Beginner

Good morning, sadly I've not come any closer to solving this issue. on Thursday I contacted MSI and i currently have a ticket open with their team but they are also stumped. I'm assuming this must be a OS issue. i found that with MSI oc "gameboost" setting turned on in BIOS the program starts but when its off i receive a failure to start mssg telling me the programs necessary drivers are not running. I've tried several things from clearing cmos, using older bios versions and updating my bios, i even attempted using the beta bios. I tried deleting the drivers in the intel xtu folder and turning on unsupported functions like vm tools. everything worked as it should giving me messages about having unsupported tools running or reinstalling the deleted files. Sadly though every time it claims that the drivers arnt running. ive used intels driver tool and device manager to no avail. below is a screenshot of the latest development.  my last option is to reinstall win 11 pro. could it be a 11 pro issue? ive also changed security settings and tried running XTU with win security off.

0 Kudos
Blueridge
Beginner

anymore suggestions would be great.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I will work on this based on the information provided. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Blueridge,

Please try the following recommendations and let me know the outcome:

• Perform a fresh installation of Windows.
  • Make sure Windows is updated to its latest version.

If the issue remains, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos