Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14569 Discussions

i3 - 1215u

justdant
Beginner

I have a newly bought Huawei Matebook D14 BE - i3 1215u with 8GB RAM. At first boot, my laptop’s CPU always runs at 0.6GHz to 0.8GHz (1st picture), which is below its base speed of 1.2GHz. Initially, I thought it might be because there was no running application, so it didn’t bother me. However, when I used Cinebench to test its full capacity at 100%, I only got 1.7GHz (2nd picture).

So, I did some research because I was thinking how could I ever reach its maximum speed at 4.4GHz speed or even just at 3-4GHz speed would be enough. During the Cinebench, I activated the performance mode that the Huawei has and activated the best performance on the battery settings. But I didn’t achieve above 2GHz. There might be a problem with my device or something, knowing that it couldn’t even reach the idle mode of the other devices compared to my device. I’m stressing my CPU just to reach that 1.7GHz compared to idle mode 2.3GHz at 25% of the other device (below are pictures proof for references).

The third and fourth pictures are proof that i3 1215u could go beyond 2GHz. That 3rd screenshot is a newly boot device, running 2.31GHz at 27%, while my device running at 100% with only 1.7Hz atmost. 

my device running at idle mode or with appsmy device running at idle mode or with apps

my device running with Cinebench to test its full capacity witl only 1.7ghz at 100%my device running with Cinebench to test its full capacity witl only 1.7ghz at 100%

above are screenshot of my device running at idle mode and normal usage vs using cinebench to test the full capacity of maximum speed of my device reaching only 1.74ghz at 100%
compared below with other device usong the same processor i3 1215u achieving 2.4ghz above with only low percentage cpu usage.

2.4ghz2.4ghz3ghz at 2%~ cpu usage3ghz at 2%~ cpu usage

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, justdant.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your i3-1215u that does not reach the Maximum frequency.

Please be advised that processors do not run at the maximum frequency at all time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If the workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, such as power, temperature, or current limits, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency. The turbo frequency is the maximum frequency that the processor can achieve under optimal conditions. It can boost the performance of the processor for short periods of time. 

You can find more information about the processor frequency and turbo mode on this link: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029339/processors/intel-core-processors.html)

Kindly ensure the following:

1. Make sure that your system does not have physical constraints that will prevent the processor from reaching its max turbo frequency. Examples of physical constraints of the processor could be power delivery and thermal solution.
    1. Make sure your processor thermal cooling solution is appropriate for your system.
    2. Make sure that processor power limits (PL1, PL2) are allowing the processor to reach its maximum turbo boost frequency. Contact your system vendor: (Contact Intel for Your Support Solutions) for questions/instructions.
  2. Make sure your BIOS is up to date and/or reset BIOS to its default.
  3. Make sure the Turbo option (if available in the BIOS) is not disabled. In general, it should be enabled by default. Consult your motherboard/BIOS manufacturer on how to enable Turbo in the BIOS.

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
justdant
Beginner

HIii

Please be advised that processors do not run at the maximum frequency at all time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If the workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, such as power, temperature, or current limits, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency. The turbo frequency is the maximum frequency that the processor can achieve under optimal conditions. It can boost the performance of the processor for short periods of time. 

I do understand Sir that the processors do not run at the maximum frequency at all time. My device is running at below 1ghz speed (0.5. - 0.8ghz) at idle speed which is very normal as it increases when we use multiple apps or apps that consumes a lot of processor speed.

My concern is when I use any benchmark such as CPUZ, Cinebench, antutu, and even the Intel app "to check if my processor has damage where it uses the maximum speed of a laptop". The apps mentioned were used to pressure the processor so that I could check what is the highest number it could reach but only get 2ghz at most.

It doesn't have a turbo option in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Justdant,

I hope you're doing fine.

We are checking in with you on the i3 1215u processor issue we are having to see if you have already performed the recommendations that we have provided or if you have any additional queries or require further explanation. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any questions.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
justdant
Beginner
  1. Make sure that your system does not have physical constraints that will prevent the processor from reaching its max turbo frequency. Examples of physical constraints of the processor could be power delivery and thermal solution.
    1. Make sure your processor thermal cooling solution is appropriate for your system.
    2. Make sure that processor power limits (PL1, PL2) are allowing the processor to reach its maximum turbo boost frequency. Contact your system vendor: for questions/instructions.
  2. Make sure your BIOS is up to date and/or reset BIOS to its default.
  3. Make sure the Turbo option (if available in the BIOS) is not disabled. In general, it should be enabled by default. Consult your motherboard/BIOS manufacturer on how to enable Turbo in the BIOS.

1. All is fine.
    1. Checked.

2. Up to date
          3. Not available, but I read somewhere in Intel that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled by default in 12th Generation.

1.2 here is the processor power limits.  It is unlimited.

justdant_0-1706182055412.png

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hi Justdant,

We really appreciate your thorough response.

We understand that you are having issues or concern with your i3-1215U, as when using benchmarks such as CPUZ, Cinebench, Antutu, and even the Intel app, the highest number it could reach is only 2 GHz at most, even if the apps mentioned were used to pressure the processor.

Based on our research, here are the possible reasons for the situation or issue that we have:

• Processors do not run at their maximum frequency all the time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on workload demand. If workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency
  • There are many factors that influence the processor's operating frequency, such as system overheating, choice of appropriate fan heatsink, adequate power supply, and workload.

In regards to that, here are additional troubleshooting steps that we can take; kindly open the links below for possible solutions:

Please also check out this page for further information on Intel® Turbo Boost Technology:

What is Intel® Turbo Boost Technology?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/turbo-boost.html

Please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you have performed so we can take the next step.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
justdant
Beginner

I have already tried resetting the laptop, used the performance on the battery option, activated the performance in throttlestop, but the speed cannot reached above 2ghz.

I tried changing the
"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

Double-click on, and then change the value of Start key to 4.
"

The base speed was set to 2.5ghz, that was shown on the task manager, yet the speed were sruck at 2.5ghz, no more no less. 

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel

Hi jusdant,

Were you able to check the previous post? We are checking in with you, as we have not heard any response from you. Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,

Jay B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel

Hi justdant,

Please be informed that, since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. We acknowledge that the processor(Intel® Core™ i3-1215U) installed in your device is capable of reaching a maximum frequency of 4.40 Ghz. Unfortunately, we are even unable to achieve beyond 2.5 Ghz for the processor, despite trying different methods.

However, your device manufacturer(Huawei) may have altered features, incorporated customizations/limitations, or made other changes to some components that could be the reason for your system to unable to reach its maximum marketed CPU frequency. At this rate, the system manufacturer is our best source of support right now to clarify the specifications and capability of your Huawei Matebook D14.

You may reach out to their support channel below for further assistance/confirmation:

https://consumer.huawei.com/my/support/contact-us/

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos