Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

i3 4010U Maximum single DIMM memory capacity?

CORei
Beginner

I see that the processor supports a maximum of 16Gb, and that most motherboards have 2 memory slots. In the case of a motherboard having only 1 memory slot, and the willingness to spend the extra on a 16GB DDR3L DIMM, will the motherboard actually support it?

Thanks!

CJ

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Supaiku,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, it depends on your motherboard manufacturer, they have tested your motherboard with different memory sticks and your computer manufacturer will have a better answer for you.

If you provide me with your motherboard model I can try to look at your motherboard manufacturer website and see if there is a list of memory tested.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
CORei
Beginner

Hey Ivan,

The specific computer I was asking about is a Dell Inspiron 3148 laptop with an intel i3-4010U 1.7Ghz CPU JJYG4 motherboard.

Dell says it only supports 8GB, and in fact I can now confirm this.

When I put a 16GB Corsair DDR3L module in it froze at Dell/W10 boot screen and when entering BIOS to check displayed 6GB+ memory (rather than 16GB).

I assume that means it's either software/hardware incompatibility. I suspect one or the other isn't designed for 16GB single modules, but rather 2 6GB modules.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Supaiku,

Thank you for the information and I just want to let you know that this processor supports 16GB of RAM but your system supports 8GB of RAM most likely because this is what your motherboard supports or a limitation from your computer manufacturer.

I'm sorry that you cannot get the 16GB of RAM and I appreciate you have had the time to let us know this information.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos