Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

i5-1035G1 Core 2 15C warmer than other cores under load. Is this normal?

KKell15
Beginner

I recently purchased a "renewed" laptop with an i5-1035G1 processor. I have noticed that one core (core #2, cores are listed as 0, 1, 2, 3) runs significantly warmer than the other cores under load (by about 15C). It is always the same core that runs hotter.

When idle, the core temperatures are all about the same (around 40C).

I understand that the diodes are calibrated to measure an accurate temperature near Tjunction.

I'm not particularly worried about frying the chip, since throttling is working fine when the temperatures rise. My bigger concern right now is that the fan spins up when three of the four cores are running at 50C and the oddball core 2 is at 65C.

So, my questions:

(1) Is this normal behavior that I should just not worry about (and live with the fan noise)?

(2) Is the problem potentially due to the location of the core on the chip (I can't seem to find any layouts that identify which core is which), such as being closer to the integrated GPU?

(3) Should I go to the effort of replacing the thermal paste between the cap and the heat sink?

(4) Is it safe to adjust the temperature offset for that one core down by 15 degrees, if I also reduce the max temp by 15 degrees (i.e. so that throttling starts at 85C instead of 100C)?

Thanks for any input! I've spent the last two days trying to get definitive answers on the web, and can't seem to find anything.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KKell15

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The behavior can be expected and normal, if your processor is not having any issues (Spykes), BSOD, or any other issues related to high temperature it's fine, the noisy fan it's a set up that you might check with the system manufacturer to configure the different speed options on the BIOS or you can clean your fan.

It's important to mention that the max temperature for Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor is 100°C, so if the processor is working below that it means that it works within specifications and it's fine.

We do not provide temperature ranges for each processor, as it can vary. Processors have internal protections to prevent excessive temperatures. Operating ranges below the protection points are highly dependent on system configuration and workload. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will reduce the power to maintain a safe temperature level. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings. If the processor is unable to maintain a safe operating temperature through throttling actions, it will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage. 

Regarding you question replacing the thermal paste between the cap and the heat sink, it depends I think it's not necessary at this point if you are no presenting any issues but you can try it as well, so make sure to clean your fan, your system and apply thermal paste on the proper way. if you decide to do it you might follow the recommended steps on the following link: How to Apply Thermal Paste and How It Works

Regards,

Adrian M.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KKell15

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Regards,

Adrian M.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
KKell15
Beginner

Yes, the information was most helpful. I did go ahead and replace the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5, and that brought the idle temps down about 5C. The processors are running a little closer in temp now as well.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KKell15,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad the temperatures of your processor are better now.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos