Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

i5 10400f Lost Frecuency

MauroManchego
Beginner
Good morning, I have an i5 10400f processor that lowered its working frequency. In the BIOS it appeared 2900Mhz but now it appears 768Mhz. I already reset the BIOS parameters to factory default and nothing. I don't have an operating system because it won't let me install, I suppose it's due to the processor problem. Is it possible for a processor to get damaged that way?
My board is a Gigabyte B460m Aourus Elite and I have not changed any parameters since I assembled my CPU.
I speak Spanish, it's Google translation
0 Kudos
5 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Very rare this is a CPU problem... actually, the most commons scenarios is due to operating system issues and power plans... or to BIOS issues...

Since you don't have an OS, I would say this first thing to do is review the motherboard...First, check you have the latest BIOS and update if necessary....

Then, check the BIOS to see if Turbo Boost technology is enabled... and check if there is an option like "intel speed step" or similar and test turning it off...

0 Kudos
MauroManchego
Beginner
The BIOS version is the F5, this is the last versión, Turbo Boost is enabled, I can't find Intel speed step in my board, maybe with another name?
0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

As per Gigabytes user manual it is on BIOS under: Tweaker > Advanced CPU Settings > CPU EIST Function

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b460m-aorus-elite_1001_201014_e.pdf?v=73f5a0072c52d972c364218bda62fd9f

0 Kudos
MauroManchego
Beginner
yesterday I tried another processor on my board and I was able to install Windows, then I took it out and put mine and it won't start Windows, blue screens. EIST option is enabled
0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Did you turn EIST option off for testing? If yes, unfortunately, this make believe the issue is with your CPU because another one let you install windows... I think it is very strange a CPU fails this way showing this behavior, but perhaps it is possible.

It seems is time for you to contact the vendor for a replacement...

0 Kudos