Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

i5-11600KF would not post with 3600 CL16 memory (XMP On)

sxmlv
Beginner

Hello Support Team!

Finished my first ever Intel build with Gigabyte B560I aorus pro ax and i5-11600KF paired with Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 memory (2x8Gb). With XMP Enabled the system would not post.

Only if I enable Gear 2 it would work or if I manually adjust the RAM Speed to 3466.

After some research I noticed that some other reviewers pointed out to such an awkward behaviour of this CPU - e.g. https://youtu.be/f5i48_WrqDE?t=399 and that it was not the case with e.g. 10th Gen 10700 CPU.

Could you please tell from your experience if this is ok and if this might be fixed in the future BIOS versions? I have addressed this issue to both Gigabyte and Crucial, but they could not offer any solution other than to use other memory (slower) kit or switch to Gear 2.

At the moment I have switched to a 3200 CL16 memory kit in Gear 1 and system is stable.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxmlv
Beginner

The interesting part is that I am not the only one who faces this issue with 11600 not posting 3600CL16, however on Z590 it works with 3600CL16 no problem!

The issue appears to be known: https://youtu.be/weApsCx3OXk?t=450 e.g. second video by this tech reviewer. I am sort of puzzled...

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello sxmlv

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) lets you overclock RAM and compatible DDR3/DDR4 memory to enhance the gaming features built into PCs with Intel® Core™ processors. The processor specifications lists 3200MHz as the memory frequency, meaning that anything above that is considered overclocking:

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of system and components for additional details. For more details, refer to Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) and Overclock RAM

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos