Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i5 2500K is running at 2.3ghz instead of 3.3ghz......why??

idata
Employee

Besides using CPUID and ASUS Ai, I just ran AIDA64 to confirm that the 2500K is not running to its marketed speed. It resides in an ASUS Sabertooth P67 mobo. Since running AIDA64, the system now beeps in even multiples ranging from 2 beeps up to 12 beeps in succession. My build has presented problems from day 1 and every component manufacturer wants to blame the other, and/or tell me to send back their component for service. I wish there were a software program that would test the entire build and tell me, point blank, what is the defective component. I hope that someone here can assistance in getting the problem resolved. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If the processor is running at a slower speed, make sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology is disabled in the BIOS of the processor, this feature will force the processor to run at a slower speed in order to save power consumption.

If the system is having beep codes, in order to discard the processor as the one causing the issue, please test the processor on a fully compatible motherboard, it could be on a fried's motherboard or by taking the processor to a local computer store to be tested.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If the processor is running at a slower speed, make sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology is disabled in the BIOS of the processor, this feature will force the processor to run at a slower speed in order to save power consumption.

If the system is having beep codes, in order to discard the processor as the one causing the issue, please test the processor on a fully compatible motherboard, it could be on a fried's motherboard or by taking the processor to a local computer store to be tested.

idata
Employee

Thanks, Adolfo, that stepping tip did the trick. I don't understand why they would do that. If I wanted a cpu running at only 2.3ghz, I would have bought that one instead of a 3.3ghz. Now, to find someone to test the cpu. Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's done to reduce power requirements, heat and add longevity to the processor. No sense running at full speed during idle or low load periods. The Speedstep technology will bump the processor up when needed, including into Turbo, if enabled. The change occurs almost instantaneously. Throttling is something you DON'T want. Throttling is controlled by processor and occurs when the temperature of the processor exceeds design levels. It's a self-preservation function. A processor that is throttling will have a very short lifespan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, CarWiz, I feel more comfortable now about what the i5 is doing. Now, if I can only stop the sporadic beeping (in multiples of 2) while the puter is running.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do these beeps occur after boot and while Windows is running? Are they coming from the speakers or from the motherboard?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They occur while windows is running and come from the mobo.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That narrows it down some. I would check with the MB manufacturer/documentation then. Windows controlled beeps (via programs) are output through the speakers. The beeps may be warnings issued by the BIOS. These could be fan speed or temperature settings that are incorrect or set too low. That would be the first place I'd look. Also be sure your BIOS is up to date with the latest version specific to your motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One more thing, please, Adolfo. I tried AIDA64 again and found that throttling was zero (0) percent. I thought that would change after I made the suggestion you made. Should throttling take place? If so, how does one do that? Thanks again!

0 Kudos