Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

i5-6300HQ crash - "Kernel-Processor-Power" issue

idata
Employee

Hello. I'm not sure to be in the right forum, sorry if i'm not.

I posted everywhere on the Internet, and still haven't found an answer to my problem.

To make it quick : I bought a semi-gaming laptop, since day 1 I get random crash/freez while playing games (that my laptop is supposed to support). Specs below.

After troubleshooting everything I could by myself, (at first I thought it was drivers, then issues with the GPU etc..) but in the end 2 issues remain, and I think my crash problem could come from that.

First possible issue : I can't perform a full memory test using Windows tool and Memtest86, it just stucks. But other than that I didn't notice any issue with the RAM use. (I'm planning on testing each RAM separately soon)

Second more possible issue : I noticed after few months of searching, that everytime before my PC crash I get some Warnings/Errors/Criticals events in Windows log event.

The one that bugs me the most is "The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report" that happens 4 times in a row, one for each core. Then come Errors, then Critical.

I don't think it is an overheat issue, after monitoring my components' temperatures in idle/stress mode, it never goes up to 80°c for every component which seems correct.

When I play i'm on High Performance mode, and I use airflow below laptop.

I performed several clean install of Windows, and all the drivers installed are the ones provided by Acer's website for my laptop. I did not install any other drivers, and Windows Update is disabled.

I updated my BIOS to the latest version.

The crash seem very random : I can play all day on Ultra graphics without problem, then later I play 20mins on Ultra and it crashes. Crashes also happen on High/Medium and even Low graphics sometimes.

Edit : If this can be of any use - One or two times, I also had freeze while using the BIOS.

The CPU's speed when playing is around 3-3.20GHz if i'm not wrong.

Here are more infos that could be useful, that I unfortunately don't understand.

I would like to test everything before returning my laptop to warranty. I doubt that it is an hardware issue. Also since my laptop is also my work tool, I'd like to avoid warranty return.

If anyone's has an idea.. I can provide any informations needed and perform every test needed.

Maybe a little bit more infos on this thread : http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-VN7-792G-crash-freeze/td-p/446694 Acer VN7-792G crash/freeze - Acer Community - 446694

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, eyforesamaa:

I would like to check some information in regard to your system, so please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, once done attach that report.

"I get random crash/freez while playing games"

What kind of crashes? Do you get any error message?

What are the name of the games that you are playing?

"(I'm planning on testing each RAM separately soon)"

Were you able to test it?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, eyforesamaa:

Were you able to track this down? Were you able to test the RAM?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos