Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

i5-650 - What to do if I touched the contacts?

idata
Employee

Hello,

I know exactly what you may be thinking... "Why didn't you read the manual first?", or something like that. I will accept the fact that I haven't read the manual and should have done so... so please don't get on my case about that. What I am most interested in is what I can do about it. I heard that touching the contacts is terrible because of static electricity, and something about the oils from my fingers. What can I do to reverse the damage (If it isn't permanently damaged). I heard to get rid of the oils on the contacts, I could use something like eye glass cleaner with a cloth? What would you guys recommend? I am pretty upset and hope I didn't just ruin this processor.

Thanks,

Curt.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

DON'T PANIC

idata
Employee

Is that supposed to mean that it's okay? Or was that sarcasm?

DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Don't use water or glass cleaner.

Don't even think about wiping or cleaning the contats in the CPU socket. Those pins are very fragial and easy to bend.

Use rubbing alcohol to wipe the processor contacts.

Let dry and proceed with your assembly.

Static electricity is the main reason they say to not touch the contacts, but oils and acids in the skin don't do them any good.

In 28 years of working in this field, I have had 2 cases of ESD (static) damage caused by miss handling components and neigther were processors.

A light wipe with rubbing alcohol and you are back in bussness.

DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Mostly means I am a slow typist (and could not resist since I was just watching )

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

and it seemed to fit

0 Kudos